Removing grub and mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Capt Turk

Removing grub and mint

Post by Capt Turk »

Tried mint, and as with ubuntu, after a couple of days of trying, I have been unable to get my Sierra Wireless Aircardcard to work. It is the only internet connection I have available. I installed mint to and external hard drive. I also did this when I tried ubuntu. With ubuntu, I was able to just do a restore in windows and it recovered the original xp mbr. For some reason, it's not doing it with mint 7. I want to get rid of grub and return to using xp without having to have the external drive plugged in. The computer did not come with a restore disk, so I don't have one of those to use to get to the recovery console.

Any ideas how I can end up NOT having an external HD hanging off the side of my laptop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Removing grub and mint

Post by vrkalak »

If the computer came with Windows-XP pre-installed.

Click F8 at boot-up ... that will put you into the computers Primary Restore Mode, then you can select to restore to original Operating System.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Capt Turk,

Sorry it isn't working out for you. As for your specific question, go to the url shown below. Download and burn slowly the latest stable version of the SuperGrub live cd iso.

You can use this live cd to re-install the Windows pointer to the MBR. This should put your internal hard drive back as it was with the Windows boot loader.

If you want to get rid of the Linux partitions on the external hard drive, use the Mint or Ubuntu live cd. Open gparted from the menu and delete the partitions on your external drive. You can then create one or more NTFS partitions on the external drive that Windows XP can use.

http://developer.berlios.de/project/sho ... p_id=10921

The iso you want is at the bottom of the page.

Fred
Capt Turk

Post by Capt Turk »

Thanks for the replies. I found I had a MicroXP installation disk, and was able to get it to rewrite the MBR. I would love to be able to use Mint. I really like the looks of it. The only distro I've found that I was able to get the Aircard to work on at all was PClinuxOS. Even on it, it was very unstable. I was constantly having to reinstall it. Too bad that linux doesn't have better support for the 3G wireless cards. It makes it very difficult for a newbie to be able to get online when that is the only internet access available.

Thanks again. I hope someday the linux community can come up with better support for wireless internet connections.

Capt Turk

Return to “Installation & Boot”