de-install vista from mint 7 dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dickiemint5

de-install vista from mint 7 dual boot

Post by dickiemint5 »

Hi All. Due to a computer breakdown, I had to install mint 7 on a vista machine. A small partition was used as this arrangement was going to be temporary. Unfortunately, this arrangement is now permanent. :( As I use a Linux machine on a small network for Internet use only, I would now like to un-install vista, and use the extra space on the HD for mint. Would it be as easy as editing 'menu.lst', then expanding the linux partition to encompas the NTFS that carries vista? That sounds too easy!!!
Advice please, as I do not want to muck up my settings unless I really have to!
I can find my way around Linux, but still consider my self a newbie, or nearly newbie.
Thanks in advance

Dick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Muzer

Re: de-install vista from mint 7 dual boot

Post by Muzer »

1) (optional), edit menu.lst to remove Vista entry
2) Boot gparted or Linux Mint live CD (never edit paritions when you are running an OS off the same HDD)
3) Delete the Vista partition using gparted
4) If the vista partition was before Mint, move Mint all the way to the left
5) Resize Mint all the way to the right
6) Make sure you take swap into account first ;)
Last edited by Muzer on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dickiemint5

Post by dickiemint5 »

Thanks Muzer. Will give this a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Can't concentrate now, getting past my bedtime. :D I'm one of them there 'Silver Surfers' they keep talking about!

Dick.
dickiemint5

Post by dickiemint5 »

Hi Muzer,
Thank you very much for your instructions. Everything worked as you predicted. I have also learnt a bit more on how to use GParted. :D
The reason I posted in the first place is because I could not find anything about 'un-installing' vista. Everything I could find related to dual booting with windows, or problems doing this.
Again, thanks very much for your instructions.

Dick.

Return to “Installation & Boot”