Not able to boot windows anymore after installing Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Not able to boot windows anymore after installing Mint

Postby Coxeroni on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:33 pm

So heres how I messed up my desktop :D

First I had XP on it (sdax, dunno now) then installed 7 RC (sday, dunno either) and it worked fine with dual boot. Installed linux then (guess also on sda :D) on had a nice triple boot running.

Now the fun stopped: I decided to kill XP to only dual boot Linux and 7. So I merged the former Linux and XP partitions together as a new linux partition.

I can boot into linux with no problem, but booting into 7 fails, no MBR found. I tried serveral entries into grub, no success.

My guess (I am not an expert here):
7 installed its boot information onto the XP partition (as it was the "first") and when I installed linux, I killed that information (MBR?) and now 7 cannot boot anymore.

Is that correct and how can I fix that?

Thanks in advance.
Coxeroni
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Not able to boot windows anymore after installing Mint

Postby Husse on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Unless you have two hard disks this is wrong
no MBR found

Take a look at this wiki
Can't say for sure if it is something along these lines but a change to UUID may do the trick (explained in the wiki)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Coxeroni on Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Thanks for your reply, I will jump to my desktop and figure out the proper error message and try your suggestion.
Stay tuned ;)
Coxeroni
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Coxeroni on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:23 pm

I knew there was a mistake somewhere in my story...
sda2 has linux on (formerly XP) and 7 is on sdb2 (yes, second HD).

/boot/grub/device.map gives the following:
Code: Select all
(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb
(hd2)   /dev/sdc

/boot/grub/menu.lst:
Code: Select all
title           Linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic
quiet

title           Linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic (recovery mode)
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic

title           Linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE, memtest86+
root            (hd0,1)
kernel          /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

title         Windows 7
rootnoverify          (hd1,1)
makeactive
chainloader   +1

The windows part I added myself. When I try to boot windows, it says "BOOTMGR missing" (or something like that, I have a german PC).
I take that as a support for my theory, that I killed the only valid "windows" MBR when I installed linux over the old XP.
Can grub detect that stupid windows and fix my mistake? :D

Edit:
By the way I have no clue how your UUID suggestion should help my, since linux is booting fine and there is no "place" for my to insert the uuid in the windows line in grub.
Last edited by Coxeroni on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coxeroni
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:24 pm

I don't suppose the error message was BOOTMGR is missing
My guess (I am not an expert here):
7 installed its boot information onto the XP partition (as it was the "first") and when I installed linux, I killed that information (MBR?) and now 7 cannot boot anymore.

You're an excellent guesser. During installation, Windows will search to see if there is an already existing Windows OS in any computer they are being installed in. If they find a pre-existing Windows installation in a primary partition, they are programmed to set up a 'Microsoft Default Dual Boot', and install the new operating system's boot loader files in the older operating system.

When you zapped XP you zapped not only it's bootloader but Win7's. You need to boot into the Win7 Install CD and do a "Repair you Computer" or whatever it's called now. My Windows experience stopped at WinXP so I can't personally help you with that.

Bad news though. Restoring the Win7 bootloader will zap grub and you won't be able to boot into Mint. There are ways to restore that but I don't do grub so you will have to search the forums. If you play around with a lot of OS's you might want to do what I do and use a third party bootloader. There's one specifically designed to run within windows called EasyBCD but there are many others.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Coxeroni on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Hehe at least I "knew" what I had done, after I have done it :D

So crap, either way one of the OSes goes to hell, I dont like that.
But does windows not recognise linux and also sets up a dual boot? I mean linux is also that tolerant to do so. So you think it overwrites my grub instead of adding itself or linux to his bootloader?

Well in principle I would only need windows for watching TV with my USB TV Card, which I don't seem to get to work with linux (I suck in installing drivers). All other jobs I could manage with linux or with virtualbox, so I could maybe kick out the windows completely.
Coxeroni
Level 1
Level 1

Postby altair4 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:54 pm

Well, and I'm just guessing here, when you fix the bootmgr record you may be able to redo mint's grub and have it boot Win7.

The Win7 bootloader has two parts - one's in the MBR where grub is at the moment, and the other is in the Win7 partition. It's the one in the Win7 partition that was moved into WinXP and now lost. Restoring the one that's missing in the Win7 partition now gives something for Mint's grub to point to once grub is redone.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Husse on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:27 am

You can find out how to repair grub here
I've done that several times, not because of a Windows install but because I wanted another grub to be active than the last one installed
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby atlef on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:52 am

Boot your 7 DVD and instead of installing, choose the repair option. Then reinstall grub, following the link given to you by Husse

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot