Installing on an existing MDADM array...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing on an existing MDADM array...

Postby Kazade on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:34 am

Hi all,

I've decided to make the switch from Ubuntu to Mint on my desktop PC. My current Ubuntu install is configured as follows:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 ext4 "/" 15G
/dev/sda2 ext3 "/home" 280G
/dev/sda3 linux-swap 4G

and the same for /dev/sdb, they are set up as RAID 1 (mirrored).

Now, I'm a complete newb to RAID and it took me a while to figure out how to set that up using the Ubuntu alternate CD. Now I want to install Mint I'm not really sure how to do it... the Mint installer doesn't recognise the array as such, but displays them as 2 identical disks. I basically want to just reinstall /dev/md0 (the root partition) without affecting anything else (/home), can anyone explain how I do that in the Mint installer?
Kazade
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing on an existing MDADM array...

Postby miket on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:03 am

Hi !

Mint currently doesn't support MD devices nor LVM at installation time which is a huge bug bear !
There are ways of doing it however it's really not for the faint hearted and can lead to a non-working system!

Take a look at this posting: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30841
It may be of help to you, however if you don't understand it then please don't attempt it!

MikeT.

Kazade wrote:Hi all,

I've decided to make the switch from Ubuntu to Mint on my desktop PC. My current Ubuntu install is configured as follows:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 ext4 "/" 15G
/dev/sda2 ext3 "/home" 280G
/dev/sda3 linux-swap 4G

and the same for /dev/sdb, they are set up as RAID 1 (mirrored).

Now, I'm a complete newb to RAID and it took me a while to figure out how to set that up using the Ubuntu alternate CD. Now I want to install Mint I'm not really sure how to do it... the Mint installer doesn't recognise the array as such, but displays them as 2 identical disks. I basically want to just reinstall /dev/md0 (the root partition) without affecting anything else (/home), can anyone explain how I do that in the Mint installer?
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Kazade on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:29 am

Thanks for your reply!

Hmm, that's a real shame that it's not supported. I guess this is inherited from Ubuntu and needs to be solved there... Is there an alternative CD for Linux Mint like there is Ubuntu? Or this there a way to install Ubuntu from the alternate cd and then "upgrade" to Mint?

If not, can anyone recommend me a fully hardware (e.g. not fakeraid) controller that is known to work with Linux (I guess Linux wouldn't even need to know about a full raid controller) and is reasonably cheap?
Kazade
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:05 am

Yes it's inherited from Ubuntu
Perhaps this exhaustive guide helps you
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot