Installing on an existing MDADM array...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miket

Re: Installing on an existing MDADM array...

Post by miket »

Hi !

Mint currently doesn't support MD devices nor LVM at installation time which is a huge bug bear !
There are ways of doing it however it's really not for the faint hearted and can lead to a non-working system!

Take a look at this posting: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30841
It may be of help to you, however if you don't understand it then please don't attempt it!

MikeT.
Kazade wrote:Hi all,

I've decided to make the switch from Ubuntu to Mint on my desktop PC. My current Ubuntu install is configured as follows:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 ext4 "/" 15G
/dev/sda2 ext3 "/home" 280G
/dev/sda3 linux-swap 4G

and the same for /dev/sdb, they are set up as RAID 1 (mirrored).

Now, I'm a complete newb to RAID and it took me a while to figure out how to set that up using the Ubuntu alternate CD. Now I want to install Mint I'm not really sure how to do it... the Mint installer doesn't recognise the array as such, but displays them as 2 identical disks. I basically want to just reinstall /dev/md0 (the root partition) without affecting anything else (/home), can anyone explain how I do that in the Mint installer?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Installing on an existing MDADM array...

Post by Husse »

Yes it's inherited from Ubuntu
Perhaps this exhaustive guide helps you

Return to “Installation & Boot”