[Resolved] WinXP SP3 & Linux - Failure to Recognize WinXP

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[Resolved] WinXP SP3 & Linux - Failure to Recognize WinXP

Postby LinuxLovingMenthol on Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:21 pm

Hello all :)

I am a very new convert to the wonders of Linux-Mint on home computers and I'm dumping all Windows installations, for myself, friends and family... in favor of LinuxMint :D

My best spec PC (built myself) is the only PC out of 6 to cause me any problems so far in terms of installing the Big Mint :lol: As a LinuxMint-PC newbie I'm hoping someone may recognize this problem and point me in the right direction, if you'd be so kind please :)
I'm not a newbie to the WinDoze farce though ;-) I build PCs and repair, software etc.

My PC is running Win XP Home, SP3, runs perfectly (as far as WinDoze can!) and basics specs are as follows:
3.4 GHz Pentium IV
2GB RAM
Gigabyte MB
3 x 160GB internal IDE drives (1 Master & 2 Slaves)
1 x DVD/CD combo (Master) etc

My problem when booting from the LinuxMint (Gloria) LiveCD (used perfectly on 5 PCs so far) is that when trying to install, I receive the message "No Operating System is Installed On This Computer" and my existing DOS partitions aren't recognized. I obviously get the message "Do you want to use the entire disk of 160GB to install LinuxMint" :| I just can't do that :-(

I have a 46GB partition for WinXP SP3 and I have important data on other partitions - 2 partitions per individual HDD and also a Swap (Pagefile) partition - 2GB of RAM is never enough in WinDoze is it?! :!:
All partitions are NTFS apart from the WinXP Swap partition which is FAT

Operating LinuxMint from the LiveCD poses no problems whatsoever :) LinuxMint runs perfectly and causes no problems with the WinXP installation or files/progs etc.
Also, LinuxMint (when running from the LiveCD) *IS* capable of recognizing/viewing ALL partitions/HDDs (even Win Swap) and files on the three IDE HDDs.
The WinXP installation has always been fine - no partitions are hidden and everything works 100% OK, apart from the fact that it is WinDoze! :roll:
Am I better to try to clear a partition and install LinuxMint on there...? Newbie! :?

I am sorry if this issue has been addressed elsewhere - I've looked at the forum and couldn't find anything similar to my situation, even in the "Dual Boot" thread/s.

I need to keep my WinXP installation as it is and have the dual boot option to make the most of my PC, courtesy of LinuxMint ;-)

Many thanks for any advice that anyone might be able to offer :)

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by LinuxLovingMenthol on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinuxLovingMenthol
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: WinXP SP3 - 3 IDE and LinuxMint - Failure to Recognize WinXP

Postby viking777 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 pm

Am I better to try to clear a partition and install LinuxMint on there.

Always. always, always!

Even if the disk is empty.

Even though others violently disagree with me!!

Use the live cd to run gparted and make a partition to hold Mint and another for Linux swap.

Use the 'custom' install mode to install to those partitions.

Trust 'automatic' installation modes as much as second hand car salesmen - no much less.

Apologies if you are a second hand car salesman.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: WinXP SP3 - 3 IDE and LinuxMint - Failure to Recognize WinXP

Postby LinuxLovingMenthol on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:31 pm

viking777 wrote:
Am I better to try to clear a partition and install LinuxMint on there.

Always. always, always!

Thanks for your reply viking777
:-)
I managed to easily create two new partitions (making 4 on one 160GB HDD LOL) as EXT3 & SWAP and everything works like a dream now... after a few initial grumbles with GRUB ;-)

The initial problem/s never did get solved but the PC works perfectly with WinXP and Minty-Fresh-Linux now so I don't care too much :lol:

"second hand car salesman"?

No... LOL

Thanks again :)
LinuxLovingMenthol
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot