repeatable kernal panic

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CoastalQ

repeatable kernal panic

Post by CoastalQ »

I have a later model HP desktop with 4g ram, 2.8g Pentium 4, and a SATA main drive. I added a smaller EIDE drive for backup. Worked fine for years with Windows XP. Windows crashed so I used a Mint iso to read both drives and get the latest data to the backup drive. I then unplugged the IDE to be safe, rebooted and installed Mint on the whole SATA boot drive. Boots just fine, updated the configuration and had a stable system. Reboot with the slave IDE connected and I get to starting up..., green flash and nothing but a blinking cursor. Unplug the IDE drive and reboot with no problem. Repeatable. Tried reinstalling Mint with the IDE hooked up, but it makes no difference. Recovery Mode and Memtest both work either way. Menu.lst points to hd0,0 and file system is /dev/sda1so I am at the end of my wisdom (very little). Problem is all my data is on the IDE and I have no practical way to get it on the big drive. Besides, I need the IDE for backup. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: repeatable kernal panic

Post by Husse »

You have encountered the problem described in this wiki
It's not a kernel panic...
CoastalQ

Post by CoastalQ »

Thanks, I suspected it was something like that with how the BIOS was handling the drive order. Since my last venture into the unix world was in the 70's, I'm being cautious. My compliments to the designers of Mint. Quite a usable platform and since SketchUp seems to be stable under Wine and 95% functional, it looks to be a keeper. What is the date for the 'fix' release?
CoastalQ

Post by CoastalQ »

One further question. If it is a BIOS issue, why can Mint find the grub with no problem and the recovery mode, yet flames out on the main OS?
Husse

Post by Husse »

It has to do with that we use gfx-grub
It has a problem with UUID but as explained you can use it
However finding recovery mode puzzles me...

Return to “Installation & Boot”