Moving from Mint 5 to Mint 7 (how to question)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Moving from Mint 5 to Mint 7 (how to question)

Postby petethepoet on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:28 am

Hi All,

I am happily using Mint 5.1 (with all necessary updates) on this pc which is my home desktop system.

Since Mint 7 is out I would like to try it out and possibly use it as my main OS. e.g. using Mint 7 instead of Mint 5.

I am currently in the process of downloading the 1.3 GB live-DVD of Mint 7.

My main question is this:

Will I need to delete Mint 5 and over-write it with Mint 7, or can I somehow simply update to Mint 7 ??? I'm not sure, but I got the impression that there might be some 'apt-get' commands (or similar) which will do this.

Also, what is the best way for me to backup my user files??? I have a dvd burner in my system... however, my home folder will probably take several dvd's to backup.

In the mean time I'll wait for my Mint 7 live dvd to finish downloading -- then burn it to disc and have a play with it.

Regards,
PEW ;-))) aka petethepoet
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
---
petethepoet
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Moving from Mint 5 to Mint 7 (how to question)

Postby Old Marcus on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:46 am

If you have your home folder on a separate partition to your system, then you can install over mint 5, and just tell it to use your home partition as its home partition, but not to format it. Otherwise, you will have to upgrade from 5 to 6, then 6 to 7. This path is risky however, as you are not upgrading a clean install.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Moving from Mint 5 to Mint 7 (how to question)

Postby DataMan on Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:50 am

If you have the real estate on your hard drive, I would recommend a separate install of Mint 7 since you are in a "production" mode for Mint 5. After the installation, you could copy all of the files and folders from your production Mint /home to the new install.

With this approach, you can thoroughly "kick the tires" before making the transition. Works well if there are any "gottcha's" in Mint 7 that you may not be aware of until post-install.

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot