LM7 failure, going back to LM6

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

LM7 failure, going back to LM6

Postby mtngun on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:54 pm

A month or two ago I was playing around with the settings on one of my desktops that ran Mint 6, and inadvertantly corrupted some files. "Oh well," I thought, "this is a good excuse to upgrade to Mint 7."

And so I did. But..... the display, which had worked fine in Mint 6, was a mess in Mint 7. Best it would do was a 1024 wide display, no compiz effects, and fuzzy fonts. I tried several suggested fixes -- they not only failed to fix the display, but in some cases, they crashed the install so that it would no longer boot up with a working display. In some instances, I was able to use recovery mode to get going again, in other cases not.

I lost count of how many times I reinstalled Mint 7 and tried yet another "fix" only to crash the install again. A half dozen installs ? The display problem wouldn't go away.

Thinking it might be my old CRT monitor, I bought a new LCD (hey, it was a good excuse), but still 1024 wide and no compiz effects.

Last night I found this thread describing a known bug in Ubuntu's ability to handle many Intel Graphics cards: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ght=82865g

I tried the "safe/optimal" fix on that thread, only to boot up to a blank screen.

I feel like I have made reasonable efforts to get Mint 7 to work. Maybe if I tried another dozen or so "fixes" and reinstalls, I'd eventually solve the problem, but HEY, IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THAT HARD ! ! ! I've got other things to do.

So ......... I went back to Mint 6, which displays just fine and dandy with my Intel 82865G video card.

Until now, I have recommended Linux Mint to anyone who asked and some who didn't ask, but after the display problem with Mint 7, I cannot recommend Mint 7 (or presumably the Ubuntu equivalent) until they fix this. And it's not like the Intel 82865G is a rare video card. It's a common card, and judging by the 101+ pages of responses on the Ubuntu thread, I'm not the only one having this problem.

Mint 7 SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN RELEASED. This is not how you increase Linux market share. Someone needs to go back to the drawing board on how these releases are vetted.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Mint, just not Mint 7 with its lack of support for a common Intel graphics card. Hopefully the problem will get fixed in the next release or two, lessons will be learned, and Linux will continue to be a viable alternative to that other OS.
mtngun
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LM7 failure, going back to LM6

Postby lagagnon on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:14 pm

mtngun wrote:I cannot recommend Mint 7 (or presumably the Ubuntu equivalent) until they fix this. And it's not like the Intel 82865G is a rare video card. It's a common card, and judging by the 101+ pages of responses on the Ubuntu thread, I'm not the only one having this problem.

Mint 7 SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN RELEASED. This is not how you increase Linux market share. Someone needs to go back to the drawing board on how these
releases are vetted.

I can understand your frustrations and the resultant vent. However, your single piece of hardware is one amongst tens of thousands of different chips, most of which work perfectly with Linux. Because you and your chip are not completely supported does not entitle you to be adamant about distro releases, nor tell the developers when and how they vet releases - unless of course you volunteered to do the testing of your Intel chip before release. Or perhaps you would like to help do some testing or write some Intel drivers for the Linux community?
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LM7 failure, going back to LM6

Postby monkeyboy on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:41 pm

Hey mtgun did you ask for assistance with your problem on this forum? If not give the folks here a shot they might surprise you. Good Luck
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot