Dual Boot Mint & Win7 menu.lst Issue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual Boot Mint & Win7 menu.lst Issue

Postby Froggy on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:31 pm

Hey all,

I'm using Mint x64 and dual booting with Win7. However, when I change the "default 0" to "default 5" in menu.lst, Mint says that I don't have permission to save change to the menu.lst file. I am the only user, and I was positive that would automatically put me at the admin "i can change nearly anything" level. Is this not true? I've seen various threads in here talking about using the Terminal to go sudo, and I've tried that multiple times in a few different ways. What am I missing here?

Thanks for any thoughts.

*EDIT* Don't know if it will make any difference, but also when I try having Mint shutdown/restart, it just hangs with the underscore blinking in the top left corner. Perhaps the installation went bad? Nothing else seems broken...
Froggy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Boot Mint & Win7 menu.lst Issue

Postby Cubby on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi Froggy,

How are you editing the menu.lst?

for me I would use terminal command
Code: Select all
gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Concerning the blinking cursor means you have no x session. Looks like you'll need to post a copy of your dmesg and xorg.o.log. What graphics do you use? On board or a card?
At blinking cursor can you get to console by entering Ctrl+Alt+F1 or maybe try Ctrl+Alt+F7? And if you can get to console and enter login name and password, does x session start by typing in " startx". When did the blinking cursor occur?
Athlon 64 FX-57, Asus A8N-E, nForce4 chipset, video card NX8500GT GeForce, sound card bGears b-Enspirer w/ audio contlr: CMI8788 [Oxygen], 4G RAM, Sata WD hd 160G + 320G. Boot XP Pro nLite and a few other Linux distros.
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Froggy on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks for you reply, Cubby.

The code you gave did let me edit the menu.lst file. It did successfully change the default boot option from 0. Now I have it set to 5 (the Win7 OS partition), it defaults to 4 which is the recovery partition. Thoughts?

Ctrl + Alt + F1 will give me a screen that says:
STarting up ...
Loading, please wait...
19+0 records in
19+0 records out
kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/227abb99-8acc-4920-a54a-b4f59a194037) = dev(8,6)
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/227abb99-8acc-4920-a54a-b4f59a194037
kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...

Linux Mint 7 Gloria - x64 Edition minty-acer tty1minty-acer login: _

But, it won't let me type anything. So...

Ctrl + Alt + F7:
I did a reinstall last night, and it has fixed one issue with the option (I'm almost certain it was the network interfaces that it failed before, and that is now showing [OK]).

Shows it's going down for reboot NOW! Then everything is being stopped, saved, etc, and is [OK]. The last 3 lines say:
* Unmounting local filesystems... [OK]
mount: / is busy
* Will now restart

But it doesn't still. It will let me type startx as many times as I want, but it isn't doing anything.

I love Mint 32-bit (the very little that I've used it), and I'd love to get the x64 up and running to be able to use all my RAM. Suggestions? If you need more info, just tell me what and if there's an easier way than typing it all out. I'm still pretty new with Linux.

*EDIT* Also, forgot to answer your other question: I'm using integrated graphics (Intel GMA 4500MD).
Froggy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Cubby on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi Froggy,

I'm a newbie, too, but I do have some recent experiences with some of the terminal commands that give specific outputs as I've been doing a bit of debugging-and learning along the way.

Let's see, I don't know if this forum can minimize a dmesg output, but if you do post the output of dmesg (go to terminal and type "dmesg), it's always nice to use code. And, output of xorg log:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

and
lspci -vv

As for the boot option. what does your fstab file look like:
cat /etc/fstab
do this command as normal user, not as root or superuser.

Maybe this will give more information so that others can help, too.
Regards, Cubby
Athlon 64 FX-57, Asus A8N-E, nForce4 chipset, video card NX8500GT GeForce, sound card bGears b-Enspirer w/ audio contlr: CMI8788 [Oxygen], 4G RAM, Sata WD hd 160G + 320G. Boot XP Pro nLite and a few other Linux distros.
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Cubby on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi Froggy,

You also should read the following link, using GParted live disk to first set up your partition, and then try installing Mint. Sometimes it makes for a better install of a distro when you prepare your partition first using this utility. I am not familiar with Windows Seven, especially if it you have bought a computer/laptop with it already installed. It's one reason I use nLite version of XP Pro.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=32769
Cubby
Level 2
Level 2

Postby f.arlando on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:58 pm

I'm a newbie. I installed Linux Mint 7 with Windows 7 (windows 7 installed first). Installation was quick. And I am able to tweak my PPPoE DSL connection with the help of the forums here. Internet is working fine now --- I'm on Linux Mint now!!! (except Pidgin internet explorer which I am still I'm tinkering now --- can't login to yahoo messenger. I you can teach me some tweak in loging in to YM, It's highly appreciated).

My concern is, my wife and I are sharing this HP laptop. He prefers Windows than Linux (for now, I guess I need to educate myself with Linux first before I can educate my wife). How can I change the default OS on the grub menu? Default OS is of course Linux Mint and I want to change it to Windows 7 for my wife's convenience.

Thanks!
f.arlando
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot