Network Lock-ups/Upgrade

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Network Lock-ups/Upgrade

Postby aragon127 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:31 pm

So, I've been hit with the Ubuntu bug that causes hard-locks on heavy network usage, or possibly file writes. Basically, any time I download heavy amounts of traffic from the web (usually usenet or torrents), my system will hard-lock and my only option is to hard boot. There are no errors listed in any of the log files. It seems like it may be related to the filesystem as well, since actions like par2 or unraring often initiate the crash.

My system's basically unusable at this point. I'm considering upgrading the repositories to the Ubuntu 9.10 alpha release. My only other option appears to be a fresh install, which doesn't appeal to me. Has anyone had luck doing this? Is there a Mint-specific alpha release alongside the Ubuntu releases?
aragon127
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Network Lock-ups/Upgrade

Postby lagagnon on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:45 pm

I think you may need to consider that your hard locks are the result of hardware failure rather than anything to do with Ubuntu/Mint or any operating system for that matter - especially as they occur during times of heavy CPU load. If I were you I would start doing some hardware tests (RAM, CPU hard drive) - you might want to read this: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=28830&p=167039&hilit=ultimate#p167039
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Network Lock-ups/Upgrade

Postby aragon127 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:43 pm

That was my first notion. Memtest found no problems, and this computer ran Windows MCE for 2 years with no major problems. It's not happening during heavy CPU either. It's some combination of heavy network use and file i/o.

The only error I've been able to find so far is that every time I install a kernel, grub puts it on hd(2,0), when it should really be hd(0,0). Not sure what effect that would have.
aragon127
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot