Hello all, hope you can help me (a noob)
Here's how far I've got in the installation process:
1. I'm trying to install Mint 7 XFCE alongside Vista Home Premium and have it dual boot.
2. I've a Dell 630i with 2811MB ram. While not that worried about wrecking my current Vista installation, I don't want my Rescue Partition to die. If this occurs then my head will explode like that guy in Scanners.
3. The disk I've slow-burnt with Mint on it seems ok.
4. After defragging, I've tried shrinking C:\ via vista Disk Management (I just accepted the amount suggested.)
5. Booted the dvd in compatibility mode (with Normal my monitor keeps black screen 'out of range'-ing)
6. It just came up with "Loading, please wait" and 'initramfs' command line - then nothing
7. Tried typing "exit" - Mint then loads fine
8. Clicking through the install wizard to the partitions screen, I notice "This computer has no operating system on it"
9. The only partition choice shown is 'SCSI 1 - 320.1GB')
What should I do/try next?
I'd rather not install over my current vista installation just yet. I found this page http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13991
but got sudden brainfreeze at the thought of using Gparted..