Mint installation trouble - Vista dual-booting / partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint installation trouble - Vista dual-booting / partitions

Postby Henry Swanson on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:37 pm

Hello all, hope you can help me (a noob)

Here's how far I've got in the installation process:

1. I'm trying to install Mint 7 XFCE alongside Vista Home Premium and have it dual boot.
2. I've a Dell 630i with 2811MB ram. While not that worried about wrecking my current Vista installation, I don't want my Rescue Partition to die. If this occurs then my head will explode like that guy in Scanners.
3. The disk I've slow-burnt with Mint on it seems ok.
4. After defragging, I've tried shrinking C:\ via vista Disk Management (I just accepted the amount suggested.)
5. Booted the dvd in compatibility mode (with Normal my monitor keeps black screen 'out of range'-ing)
6. It just came up with "Loading, please wait" and 'initramfs' command line - then nothing
7. Tried typing "exit" - Mint then loads fine
8. Clicking through the install wizard to the partitions screen, I notice "This computer has no operating system on it"
9. The only partition choice shown is 'SCSI 1 - 320.1GB')

What should I do/try next? :? I'd rather not install over my current vista installation just yet. I found this page http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13991 but got sudden brainfreeze at the thought of using Gparted..

Thanks,
Henry
Henry Swanson
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint installation trouble - Vista dual-booting / partitions

Postby Fornhamfred on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:20 pm

Welcome to MInt.

You state that the only partiton shown is 320gb, what is the physical size of your harddrive?

Secondly, although you may feel daunted by Gparted it really is very simple to use. It is worth reading through the user guide for installing Gloia which can be found on the main site under downloads.

I have always found it preferable to partition the drive before installing as you are then able to manually dictate which partitions the installer should use.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Henry Swanson on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:47 am

Thanks for your reply

After reading around the whole installation topic for several hours, I don't think I'll be installing Linux just yet.. While I'm still itching to play with Mint instead of Windro$$, the whole area of dual-booting is still too confusing for me to bother dealing with. Like I said, the potential level of hassle resulting from my Rescue Partition corrupting would be epic. I therefore won't be tinkering with my setup. Sorry to waste your time - keep up the good work!

Tired of constantly having to reinstall Vista* - but still to scared/noobish to alt.OS
Henry Swanson

*ps: I guess that's how Windows keeps its 'captured fan base' - though some twisted 'better the devil you know' principle :wink:
Henry Swanson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Aging Technogeek on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:16 am

Have you considered installing via "Mint 4 Win"? This installs Mint inside Windows as an application. It will not be quite as fast as a dual boot install, but it won't mess up your hard drive like a botched dual boot attempt could and will allow you to choose Mint or Windows at boot. Also, if you have to remove Mint, it can be done from Windows "Add/Remove Programs just like any other Windows app.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Fornhamfred on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:38 pm

Good suggestion Ageing.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot