If you get grub errors after install look here - not grub 2

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

If you get grub errors after install look here - not grub 2

Post by Husse »

This is probably because gfxgrub does not use UUID in the first place and with some combinations of SATA and IDE disks or removable disks that is necessary
I wrote a wiki about it quite a while ago - it's here
Edit
This is not valid with GRUB 2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rob2uk

Re: If you get grub errors after an install look here

Post by rob2uk »

I have to ask (although I'm probably missing something):

The wiki entry you point to suggests two possible solutions, both of which involve editing /boot/grub/menu.lst

Is there a similar fix for GRUB2 which no longer uses a menu.lst?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Grub 2 should not have the problem, as far as I know it uses UUID
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

The reason I asked was because I was getting a GRUB error 15 after installing Helena, and the mix of IDE and SATA drives applied to my configuration - two SATA, one IDE.

The problem was solved, however, when the IDE drive failed spectacularly this morning and had to be binned
Husse

Post by Husse »

The failing disk was most likely already failing when you got the grub error
It's a bit frightening when a disk fails....
Pikey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pikey »

Well, I'm getting 'Error 15' after installing Mint 8 , and I don't have any dodgy disks! Maybe it's because I had my external USB drive plugged in at the time .. normally I'd unplug it, but I forgot.

I'll try another fresh install tomorrow and see what happens .. damn annoying though!!
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

Pikey wrote:Well, I'm getting 'Error 15' after installing Mint 8 , and I don't have any dodgy disks! Maybe it's because I had my external USB drive plugged in at the time .. normally I'd unplug it, but I forgot.

I'll try another fresh install tomorrow and see what happens .. damn annoying though!!
Just found this, if it's any use:

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.p ... .msg666052
Husse

Post by Husse »

I still have not had the time to read up on grub 2 (damn annoying :)) but as far as I understand it should handle things like USB disk plugged in and out as it uses UUID
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

Seems like quite a big problem - 'error 15 grub2' turns up 47000 results, almost all of them upstream.

Possible cause & fix at http://linuxers.org/howto/how-fix-grub2-error-15-ubuntu
Husse

Re: If you get grub errors after install look here - not grub 2

Post by Husse »

Seems to be a problem if you upgraded and also upgraded from grub 1 to grub 2
Pikey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pikey »

Pikey wrote:Well, I'm getting 'Error 15' after installing Mint 8 , and I don't have any dodgy disks! Maybe it's because I had my external USB drive plugged in at the time .. normally I'd unplug it, but I forgot.

All sorted now! .. a quick re-install without my Buffalo Drivestation plugged in worked fine! .. no more 'error 15'

I know the Buffalo is a SATA drive (two internal drives are IDE) , so maybe that had something to do with it?
monitor

Post by monitor »

I just thought you would like to know that if you edit (/boot/grub/menu.lst) and change the word root after title to groot which seems to resolve the problem. Well it did with my three computers. All boots ok.

Don't forget you can use "vol_id --uuid /dev/sda1" to show UUID number for drive /dev/sda1

Have a good day
TAGE

Post by TAGE »

HELLO
Is not interested in that you use linux anymore, if no, I like to return to Windows. It is simple to so many mistakes in the new 2.6.31 kernels, it is almost impossible to use.
Greetings Tage Hansen
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

TAGE wrote:HELLO
Is not interested in that you use linux anymore, if no, I like to return to Windows. It is simple to so many mistakes in the new 2.6.31 kernels, it is almost impossible to use.
Greetings Tage Hansen
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, or even if it's relevant to GRUB...
TAGE

Post by TAGE »

I can not write or understand English, so I use google to translate, but it looks like it so get a different meaning So do not you understand what I mean. Mint7 runs perfect, but Mint8 does not work.
Tage
Husse

Post by Husse »

Tage - om du är dansk, norsk eller svensk skriv en post något av dessa forum och jag ska hjälpa dig
English - andoffer to help Tage in any of the nordic languages
livetofly

Re: If you get grub errors after install look here - not gru

Post by livetofly »

Can someone point me in the right direction, i have installed mint 8 Helena on my laptop with and existing XP installl. The disk is partitioned.
When i restarted after installing Mint i got the Boot menu i select Win Xp and then was directed to XP. When exiting and rebooting i get the message:

Grub Loading.
error: no such file
Grub Rescue>

Please i need to get my XP backup, i have no startup disks or utils for Linux, i copied SuperGrub but this is for windows.

Any Help appreciated, i don't want my first Linux experience to dampen what really looks good.

Livetofly
breaker

Post by breaker »

livetofly wrote:Can someone point me in the right direction, i have installed mint 8 Helena on my laptop with and existing XP installl. The disk is partitioned.
When i restarted after installing Mint i got the Boot menu i select Win Xp and then was directed to XP. When exiting and rebooting i get the message:

Grub Loading.
Grub Rescue>

Please i need to get my XP backup, i have no startup disks or utils for Linux, i copied SuperGrub but this is for windows.

Any Help appreciated, i don't want my first Linux experience to dampen what really looks good.

Livetofly
No one will notice this being the last post in one of the stickies. :) Post this in the main forum under a new topic. Also include the results of this boot info script as described here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280
Internetforumsrjs

Post by Internetforumsrjs »

I am getting this same error........and very new to linux.....how is this fixed??
Thanks,
RJS
livetofly wrote:Can someone point me in the right direction, i have installed mint 8 Helena on my laptop with and existing XP installl. The disk is partitioned.

Grub Loading.
Grub Rescue>

Livetofly

Return to “Installation & Boot”