Install Gloria into existing partitions only?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Install Gloria into existing partitions only?

Post by gumby »

I'm reinstalling Gloria gnome due to problems. I want to install it into my existing root and swap partitions. I want my existing data partitions and Windows and other partitions untouched by the install program. (I dual boot)

I read that the install program gives you the option to manually create partitions, but I don't want to create any new partitions. I just want to install Gloria into my existing Gloria partitions. I want it to overwrite the existing Gloria with a fresh Gloria. I have a swap partition already and don't need to make a new one.

What do I tell the install program? Does the installer need to create and format my root and swap partitions again? Or can it install freshly without creating and formatting?

My trouble-plagued Gloria install is 64 bit, and the fresh install will be 32 bit, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Install Gloria into existing partitions only?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Use the manual install option but instead of creating new partitions, edit your existing Mint partitions.

When the installer first shows the existing partition scheme, carefully check the table to identify and make notes of the Mint partitions you want to replace. Once this is done, check manual partitioning(however it is listed on the current installer) and click "Forward"

Click on the first partition to be changed (to highlight it), and click "Edit Partition". In the dialogue box, select the desired file system (ext3, ext4, etc)check "Format the Partition", set mount point (/, /home, etc) and click APPLY.

Do the same for each partition to be changed. When done, click "Forward" to continue the installation.

If you chose the correct partitions, the new Mint installation will go in right over the old one.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

You are correct in using the "Manual Partition" method for the installer. To install in your existing partition(s), you will identify the exiting partition that currently houses your "/". Select this partition and make sure it is identified as "/". You will also need to check the "format" checkbox for this partition. Identify the /swap partition and, if you use a separate partition for /home, identify this also. Note on the /home, if you check the format box for this partition, all of your existing settings will be lost.

After you have done the above, take a quiet moment to study all you have done. When you're certain things are correct, click the "continue" (or whatever it's called). You will receive one final verification before you enter the land of no-turning back :D .

Good Luck,

DataMan
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Looks like Aging TechnoGeek is faster on the <post reply> button than I am... :D
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

Thanks Aging Geek and Dataman. I don't have a separate home partition. I think I have my two data partitions mounted in Home. I guess I should backup the Home folder before I install? I'm not sure how that works -- can you just copy it back after the install and not have to bother with stuff like figuring out how to mount my data partitions in Home?

Or can I tell the installer to mount my data partitions in Home?

Also, do I need to format the existing swap partition again or just identify it?

Also, Aging Geek, when you say "set mount point" could you be more specific and tell me exactly what to do?

Thanks for the assistance.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

I don't have a separate home partition.
In that case I would strongly recommend either backing your present /home to either another partition -or removeable media. You will have to check the "format" box on the partition you identify for "/". Since you have not isolated /home to it's own partition, you will loose everything as a result of the install process. Salvaging the contents of /home in preparation for an upgrade or re-install has been covered here a lot. Suggest deploying that handy utility called Search :D .
Also, do I need to format the existing swap partition again or just identify it?
As I recall, you should not have to re-format the existing /swap. If I'm wrong the installer will creak at you in the next step... merely hit the back button to correct the error of my advice.
Also, Aging Geek, when you say "set mount point" could you be more specific and tell me exactly what to do?
One of the really nifty things about the manual install is the ability to set up your auto mounts at boot for other partitions. To setup say, sd7 as your data partition you would check the partition and "Edit" the partition. In the edit screen, insert something like /media/Data and save your edit. Make absolutely sure you DO NOT check the format checkbox on these partitions else bye-bye contents!

-DataMan
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

I reinstalled and it went okay, but I couldn't set up the data partitions to boot automatically in home because when I tried to enter a path I was getting error messages to enter a different path and didn't know what to do.

So I decided I would mount the partitions after the install and used instructions Fred gave me earlier this year to get the partitions to mount in home automatically and edit fstab. This succeeded and the data partitions (and Windows partition) now mount in Home when I start up. But when I click on either data partition I get "The folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of 'Data1'"

So I used this advice from PluralDave that was offered earlier this year:

"...You still have to use the terminal though to set ownership with chown
Code: Select all
sudo chown -R username /home/username/data

and repeat for all other data partitions."

I did this and I still can't access the partitions.

I don't have this problem with the Windows partition, only Data1 and Data2.

Back in March 09 Dave had also said "You might have to then set permissions with chmod -R but you can do it via GUI by right clicking the mount folder icon and choosing the permissions tab."

But when I right click the Data1 mount icon I get "Cannot Unmount Volume. You are not privileged to unmount this volume". No option about permissions.

I am, however, able to read Data1 properties by right clicking on the tab that appears right below the toolbar. In Basic, it says "Contents: unreadable". In Permissions, it says that the owner is "libuuid", not gumby. For Group is says "root". For others it says nothing. Folder access is greyed out in all fields. At bottom it says "You are not the owner, so you cannot change these permissions."

Could someone offer me a quick command or two that will let me permanently access these partitions that are mounted in Home? Thanks.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

I should point out that, although I can access the Windows partition, its Permissions seem a bit odd:

"Owner: root
Group: plugdev
Others: None
(Folder access greyed out for all three.)

You are not the owner, so you cannot change these permissions."

I suspect that, when I chose Manual Partitioning, the Install program figured I was an expert who didn't need ownership and permissions set up for him as part of the install process. But it was wrong, I'm still a newbie. :(

My new install is working much better than the old one. All the problems I had with various programs behaving strangely are gone. I just wish I could access my data.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gumby »

This is really a new problem so I've posted it in a new thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 85#p196285

Return to “Installation & Boot”