Ubuntu dual boot problem?!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mjk62

Ubuntu dual boot problem?!

Post by mjk62 »

Hi
I've already posted this elsewhere but I wonder if anyone can explain to me what the following error message means.

"There is a problem with the configuration server. (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)."

I've just installed Mint for the first time on an existing Ubuntu installation and I can't get beyond the log in - I merely get a blank screen and the mouse cursor. I tried the Gnome (failsafe) session option to see whether this would throw any light on the issue and it came up with the above message, along with something about Nautilus not being able to create or find the home folders etc. When I installed Mint, it did give me the option to use the existing Ubuntu Home and other folders on the hard drive which I chose to do. However, I have the suspicion that this error message has something to do with the fact that I chose the same log in name and password as the Ubuntu installation.

If anyone can throw some light on what is wrong here I'd be very grateful.

Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Ubuntu dual boot problem?!

Post by lagagnon »

mjk62 wrote:When I installed Mint, it did give me the option to use the existing Ubuntu Home and other folders on the hard drive which I chose to do.

There's your problem right there. You will get to many configuration problems doing that. Mint is based on Ubuntu but has enough config differences to make that optin dangerous, which you have found out. If I were you I would backup the data on your old Ubuntu /home and reinstall mint overwriting the /home and then copy your data files back later.
mjk62

Re: Ubuntu dual boot problem?!

Post by mjk62 »

Thanks for replying to my post. I thought that there must have been some kind of conflict with the Ubuntu system. I've now reinstalled Mint on the hard drive, wiping out the Ubuntu installation (I didn't have anything worth keeping as it was a fresh installation anyhow. I now have Mint up and running and all seems okay.

Mike

Return to “Installation & Boot”