Suspend mode forever?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kurisutofu

Suspend mode forever?

Post by kurisutofu »

Hello,
I tried the suspend mode on my notebook ... I shouldn't have.

Here is my problem, I cannot go out of that mode!
I tried to reboot by pressing the switch long enough, it didn't work ... I tried to do the same while taking the battery out. When I plug it it and turn the netbbok on, the OEM splash screen appears briefly and a second later, I heard a noise (like a switch) and the screen is black again and no activity from tbe netbook ...

When I try to turn it on, the power LED turns on, then blinks ...

Please someone, help me :cry: :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurisutofu

Re: Suspend mode forever?

Post by kurisutofu »

Well, I feel stupid to panic so quick ... The problem is solved.
I tried to use it plug to the power instead of the battery and it works again ... it seems my battery has a default. Fortunately I bought a second one a long time ago! :lol:
kurisutofu

Post by kurisutofu »

Well, in fact, the problem of "forever" is solved ... but not the suspend mode ...
When I suspend the laptop and then open up the lid, it doesn't come back, even if I can see the power led still on ... The screen stays black with some green glitch at the top of it ....

Any idea?

EDIT:
I've read that it might be the hardware that is at fault but when I suspend without closing the laptop's lid, it works ...
dequire

Post by dequire »

Suspend support is lacking on Linux with some notebooks. This is supposed to improve with Ubuntu 9.10 and with the newer kernels. So I think you might want to wait a bit and hopefully it will work. You can also upgrade your kernel to see if that helps; But with Ubuntu 9.10 (And Mint Helena) so close around the corner, you might just want to shutdown until then)

You can also do a custom install and increase your 'swap' partition to 2x the size of your system's RAM. This may allow suspend to work. See the Ubuntu 9.04 release notes where it talks about suspend here.

For a great way to layout a new Mint install, see this post.

Just remember - swap should always be 2x your ram.
Last edited by dequire on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

I am able to use Hibernate easily on my HP dv6119 with no trouble.

I seem to recall using suspend w/o a glitch. I'll check again.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Just checked out Suspend and it worked. Menu > Quit > Suspend
Waited for the laptop to completely suspend, closed the lid and walked away for a few minutes. When I returned and opened the lid the laptop resumed immediately. Even the wireless reconnected. I have mine set so that If I close the lid w/o going to the Menu, it hibernates. Wireless also resumes when waking from hibernation.

Do you have the latest acpi packages loaded? I am using acpi 1.2-1ubuntu1; acpi-support 0.121; and acpid 1.0.6-9ubuntu4.9.04.3
kurisutofu

Post by kurisutofu »

I hope my reply will go through the tubes this time ... I had already replied but it has disappeared... so please appologize me for my late reply.

Thank you dequire for all those information, I will take a look at those link whenever I'll have time, I'm sure they will be very useful to me, if not solving my problem, at least I will learn.
How do you do to change the swap size?

dawgdog, I'm sorry, how can I check that?
My graphic card is the GMA500 and as I could read, it is not one of the best supported on linux ... it works properly though, except that suspend function ...
Should I update the package you mentionned, will that "break" something with that card?

(Sorry, newbie here :oops: )
kurisutofu

Post by kurisutofu »

kurisutofu wrote:How do you do to change the swap size?
To reply to my question, I found a nice tutorial for that:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

I will try it and hopefully I'll be able to suspend correctly :wink:

EDIT:
Well, I tried and I set 6 Go for swap (I have 2 Go RAM) and still the same problem ... :cry:
I guess I'll wait for Helena :?
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

kurisutofu wrote: dawgdog, I'm sorry, how can I check that?
Should I update the package you mentionned, will that "break" something with that card?
(Sorry, newbie here :oops: )
dawgdoc wrote: Do you have the latest acpi packages loaded? I am using acpi 1.2-1ubuntu1; acpi-support 0.121; and acpid 1.0.6-9ubuntu4.9.04.3
To check which packages you have Menu > Package Manager
In the search box type acpi, the column next to the package name will indicate the installed package version, the column to the right of it will be the most recent available version. You may already have the most recent version if you always install all packages when they show up in mintUpdate. I always cherry pick those available.

As for breaking, all I can say is that mine didn't break when I updated the packages. Sorry, no guarantee.
kurisutofu

Post by kurisutofu »

I have the latest acpi packages :(
So I will wait for Mint Helena. :?

Return to “Installation & Boot”