partition size discrepancy in Installer/gparted?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
htismaqe

partition size discrepancy in Installer/gparted?

Post by htismaqe »

I noticed after installing both Linux Mint 7 Main and Linux Mint 7 XFCE that my partition sizes weren't the same size as I input them in the installer. I quickly realized that it might be because Linux Mint uses binary bytes - MiB and GiB. Everywhere that is except the Live CD Installer.

In the installer, if you elect to configure partitions manually, it asks you to enter partition sizes in MB rather than MiB. Furthermore, the graphical display at the top of the Installer window doesn't seem to agree with the partition table for the same reason. I inserted an unformatted 20GB IDE drive into the machine. The graphical meter at the top says there is 18.6GB free while the partition table says there's 200020MB free. The graphical display at the top is actually correct, except that it's labeled GB, and it should be labeled GiB.

Would it be possible to code the installer to be consistent with the rest of the OS? Or at least change the graphical display text labels to avoid confusion?

I have a fairly technical background, so it didn't take me long to figure out. However, as a relative Linux newb who is looking to adopt Linux at home for the first time in about 10 years, I can see where this could trip some people up.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: partition size discrepancy in Installer/gparted?

Post by Husse »

Have not noticed this - but the confusion between the two ways of measuring size is no good
I don't know if we can control this or if we have to leave it as is and hope that Ubuntu fixes it
htismaqe

Re: partition size discrepancy in Installer/gparted?

Post by htismaqe »

Yeah, I have played around with Xubuntu 9.04 since posting this and it's the same way, so it's really not a Mint problem but rather a problem with Ubuntu's installer.

Not really a big issue, but could be quite confusing to somebody who's not used to binary, bits, and bytes.

Return to “Installation & Boot”