Inoperative mouse

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Inoperative mouse

Postby peterj on Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:46 pm

I have been using Bianca for the past 3 months and like it. I read the release notes for Casandra and it looks as though it is even better.
I have downloaded Casandra & run it as a boot CD but it fails to install my mouse. I have tried using a different mouse but that made no difference.
Can someone please tell me the way around this, in very simple terms please, if possible with clear step by step instructions, as I am very much a novice in these matters. Many thanks
peterj
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:07 am

Please tell us what motherboard you have and if you use USB or PS2. It's probably the motherboard, not the mouse as you have tested several mice
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby peterj on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:09 pm

Hasse,

If I have read the information correctly from the Device Manager I have an ACER motherboard V3.2 V75EN4C. If it is any help the computer is an old IBM Aptiva with a 450mhz AMD K6-3 processor, and I have 384mb Ram.
peterj
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nick on Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi
If you have USB mouse, in that older motherboard, you may have to go into bios and "enable USB ports"

P.S. Husse asked
USB or PS2 mouse

Which are you using? also if you have a PS2/USB adapter, that may cause problems

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby peterj on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi John,
Sorry for only providing part of required info. Mouse is PS2.
peterj
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nick on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi
Does the mouse still work with Bianca as a live CD?, if so that should eliminate mouse.

There is a
Bug in Fiesty with SiS 630 chipsets and PS2 mouse. ( i think you may have this chipset ?)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/baltix/+sour ... bug/108221

Can you try USB mouse if you have USB ports?

And finally, I have been caught out by small pieces of fluff in PS2 port :)
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:07 pm

And finally, I have been caught out by small pieces of fluff in PS2 port

Such small things are surprisingly often the cause of large problems - also check (but don't use force) that the PS2 connector is completely in - I've had lots of cases where different connectors have been only partly connected and worked ok in some cases and not at all in other...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby peterj on Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:54 pm

John/Husse,
The Mouse works fine when running Bianca from Live CD.
From reading the link you provided John, I suspect that my problem is with the chipset. I will see if I can try it out later in the week, but I will need someone to tell me exactly how to do it, as I do not know what 'sudo' means.
Is it likely that this fix will be incorporated into the next Mint release? If so I may just hang on for that as Bianca is working fine, and I find it easier to work with than XP.
It helps greatly to know that there are people like you out there who are so willing to give up time to assist others. Thank you.
peterj
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot