Selecting OS to boot on 'Restart'

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcash454

Selecting OS to boot on 'Restart'

Post by mcash454 »

I have a feeling that what I am asking for may not really be possible without some serious effort, but there's a chance that this might be fairly easy so I might as well just throw this idea out there.

I am running Gloria x64 on my desktop, which is set up as a dual-boot machine (with Vista Home Premium). I'm letting GRUB handle my booting 'stuff', and start up Gloria by default. What I think would be really convenient is if a user could select the OS he/she wanted to boot to when selecting to restart in Mint. I'm envisioning being able to select "Quit" from MintMenu, and when the "Shut Down the Computer" window comes up, it has the OS options as sub-options underneath "Restart". The user could still just click "Restart" as it stands now and the restart would take you to the GRUB OS selection page where you could pick your OS there, but "Restart in ________" with the blank filled in with each option in GRUB would be available too. Then obviously if the user selected "Restart in Linux Mint" then the system would reboot straight to Mint and skip the GRUB page because the user already selected the desired OS.

It seems like adding the -sub-options to the "Shut Down the Computer" window would be easy enough by just pulling the information from the same place as GRUB, or GRUB2. But since I don't know how the boot-up stuff really works I'm skeptical that one could carry that selection through an actual re-boot to allow the computer to skip the GRUB page where you select your OS upon start-up.

Impossible?

[img]
Screenshot-Shut%20Down%20the%20Computer.png
[/img]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Selecting OS to boot on 'Restart'

Post by lagagnon »

This has been discussed previously on the forum and there is a solution here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ot#p168117
mcash454

Post by mcash454 »

Thanks! Sorry, I should've searched a little harder. Things like 'reboot', 'GRUB', 'OS', etc. come up with a LOT of hits when searched :oops:
mcash454

Post by mcash454 »

Is there a way to move this thread to the 'Suggestions and New Ideas' section? I don't want to commit a forum foul, and I'm not sure it is cool for me to just make a new thread there and link to it. I'm guessing that administrators could do this in a more elegant way.

I think that integrating the feature of selecting your OS in the Mint 'Shut Down the Computer' dialog has merit. Clearly there are some tools out there that can allow one to make this happen, but not as part of the Mint dialog.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

mcash454 wrote:Is there a way to move this thread to the 'Suggestions and New Ideas' section?
This idea has already been posted at the Suggestions forum: see the link I posted on this same thread above.... ^^^

Return to “Installation & Boot”