Mint fails to run after installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
David Hunter
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint fails to run after installation

Post by David Hunter »

Please boot to the live cd, go into the terminal (click Menu, then Terminal) and then type

Code: Select all

inxi -p
and press enter. Then, copy the output to here so that we can see how you've arranged your drives. Also in terminal, type

sudo gparted
and press enter. In the top right corner of the screen there'll be a device selection menu. The menu should show one option for each drive you have connected. It should read something like (if you have only two drives):

/dev/sda   320 GiB
/dev/sdb   160 GiB
or it may say the opposite:

/dev/sda   160 GiB
/dev/sdb   320 GiB
If that's the case, you've installed Mint on your second drive, which I believe GRUB cannot boot to (experts please correct me if I'm wrong). Either way, please take a screen shot of the menu and post it here so we can see it.

'GRUB' is the menu that loads at boot and lets you select which operating system to load.

Good luck! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thanks beyecixramd!
Husse wrote:Actually I've never broken a Linux I have managed to install - but there are a few I never managed to install :)
David Hunter
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint fails to run after installation

Post by David Hunter »

Hi Orval.

*IF* I am correct about the issue of not being able to boot onto a second drive, then it's a simple fix: open your computer, and swap jumpers on each drive so you're 320gigga is the master and the 160gig is the slave. Then ensure the BIOS realizes that change, and then reinstall.

Failing that, my last suggestion would be to rip out the 160 gig drive entirely, then install mint on the 320, and after installation reinsert the 160gig (but you'll still have to ensure that the 320 is the master drive and not the slave).

If you have no idea what I'm talking about with regards to hard drive jumpers, see http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/insthdd.htm for some guidance.

If neither of the above don't work, apologies. :cry:

Of course, it's more than possible that GRUB can boot to a second hard drive... in which case, this has been a wild goose chase!
Thanks beyecixramd!
Husse wrote:Actually I've never broken a Linux I have managed to install - but there are a few I never managed to install :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”