Grub help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChiefFox

Grub help

Post by ChiefFox »

my problem started off as a wireless networking issues where I was trying to get a USB network adapter to work over my PCI adapter, but couldn't and the last command I did before getting neither to connect was "sudo modprobe mac80211" which probably messed up my PCI adapter because it had a B43 driver, which I think is ieee80211... Anyway I was trying to get internet through other means to get to this forum to fix my linux so sadly to say I installed Windows 7 on a seperate partition (boo) and that's what I'm using now. Only at startup I was getting a grub error 17, and now that Windows 7 is installed, (seperate partition) i did not format my Linux Mint, and it jumps right to Windows 7 at boot without asking me usually like it should which OS I want to run. so how can I repair my GRUB boot loader if it's not showing up? I don't want to format. and I have a Linux Mint 7 disc, which is actually 32 bit, but I'm using a 64 bit Mint.. tried that but there is no repair boot options on the disc I don't think... any clues anybody?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ChiefFox

Re: Grub help

Post by ChiefFox »

Thank you, that did help my GRUB bootloader problems. i forgot to write down the instructions to the second part of the directions: "Only read below if Windows is now missing from the boot menu" so i had to install a second linux which automatically added it to the grub, whew a lifesaver.

but anyway my intial problem persists with my wireless networking on linux. I got a B43 driver that isn't working correctly because i think i ran a command to "modprobe mac80211" so i tried to remove that by "sudo modprobe -r mac80211" but got a FATAL error: Module mac80211 is in use." is there any way to fix this so i can get my wireless back? sorry i feel like such a noob. you ever heard the saying if it aint broke don't fix it... yeah don't do what i did. lol
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

Breaking things is the best way to learn.

Trust me, I know :lol:

As for your B43 driver, have you tried this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=162?

EDIT: d'oh!
Last edited by rob2uk on Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChiefFox

Post by ChiefFox »

is that an image? I can't view it for some reason. i don't know maybe the link is broke?
ChiefFox

Post by ChiefFox »

oh: i checked the properties of that "image" and got the link to the thread you wanted to show me. i'll try that. after reading the thread i see it works for some people the first reboot but not thereafter, i'll let you know how it goes.
ChiefFox

Post by ChiefFox »

directions from that thread post say to do the following in order:
  • load live cd as a source in synaptic.
  • search for Broadcom.
  • install drivers
  • get to system/administration/hardware drivers
  • install the STA driver
  • restart pc, and it should work
man I must be in a funk because I can't get the first step to work, or I'm not doing it right... load Live cd as a source in synaptic. how can i got about doing that properly? I tried popping in my linux mint 7 disc and going to File then Load Disc and when I click open it tells me it's not a Debian disc or something like that.
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

*facepalm* (at me, not you)

If you're on the internet you must have a wired connection, so you can probably skip the first step
ChiefFox

Post by ChiefFox »

well if you read the first thread you would see that i am temporarily using wireless on another OS. I don't have anything wired to this machine.

Return to “Installation & Boot”