fedora and Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
demoka

fedora and Mint

Post by demoka »

Hi, I have fedora 12 on my PC and I noticed that the file system is LVM2 and GParted can not handle LVM2 what is the safest way to install Mint 8 alongside fedora which only has a boot partition of ext4 and the rest is LVM2
:mrgreen: :idea: Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: fedora and Mint

Post by Husse »

I think you an make room for Mint from within Fedora - I hope you can shrink something handled by LVM (Logical Volume Manager) but I have not studied it
nukm

Post by nukm »

PLUS - you also need to research GRUB2 and exactly how you are going to boot the OSes. Mint 8 is using GRUB2. Fedora uses GRUB.
Husse

Post by Husse »

With only two installed systems grub2 should play nice
One option is of course to put grub2 in the PBR and chainload* (sort of) from fedoras grub provided it allows it
You should do
title Linux Mint 8 Helena(on /dev/sda8)
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
savedefault
boot
* If you read the documentation for grub2 you find that you can't do a normal chainload
demoka

Post by demoka »

Will Linux mint 8 dulboot noramlly with xp service pack 3 since it is using the bug filled GRUB2?
Husse

Post by Husse »

This topic is about Fedora and Mint but yes it should work with XP

Return to “Installation & Boot”