Helena created raid so I can not boot Win7

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
malky

Helena created raid so I can not boot Win7

Post by malky »

I have sda 250Gb Win7 (2 partitions) and sdb 1TB (swap, Suse 11.2, Home, Linux mint Helena)

After installing Suse everything was fine.
I installed Mint and can no longer boot Win7

The entry for win7 in grub is : "Windows7 (loader) (on /dev/mapper/nvidia_bbdgfecd1)"

Selecting this gives : "Error : invalid signature. Press any key to continue"

If I open G-Parted it shows I have 2 sda's both 233.89 GB (single partition)

When Mint starts it reports "failing Drive ,damaged segments" so cannot "see" sda so I cannot even access it
Can this be fixed without reinstalling Mint , or if I have to , can it be stopped creating a raid .
also I did not have the option of a separate /Home as I did in suse because the "/home" was not in the dropdown list when creating partitions

Malky
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
breaker

Re: Helena created raid so I can not boot Win7

Post by breaker »

You should be able to edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst so that the entry actually points to /dev/sda1 and it might work. It depends where the Windows 7 loader was installed, I assume /dev/sda1/. What is the entire entry in the menu.lst for your Windows 7, is it like this:

title Windows seven
root (hd0,1) <--------------this depends on where Win7 lives
makeactive
chainloader +1

The other alternative is to restore your windows 7 MBR using a linux command line utility, then once in Windows & use EasyBCD to edit your BCD so that you may access all of your partitions.

EDIT: Also, in the future, it is a good idea to back up your MBR before installing anything, this can be done in Linux with dd or in windows with HDHacker.
malky

Post by malky »

Sudo Gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

gives a blank gedit window.

Is that `cos its grub2 and theres no menulist

Thanks for your reply

I installed Mandriva and the dmraid has gone leaving just 1 sda , it found Win7 and Suse 11.2 and all load fine , surprisingly It did not detect linuxmint 8.
I have used mint for 2 years without trouble until 8.0----Ubuntu 9.10 doesnt even see my partitions only the 2 drives .I think that the changes made are causing a few problems with reporting bad sectors on drives and creating dmraid and I couldn`t create a separate /home.
breaker

Post by breaker »

Oh yeahhh, grub2 is used by Helena.... well, that's another can of worms right there... sorry I couldn't be more help. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”