Linux Mint 8 ON Windows Xp SOLVED

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint 8 ON Windows Xp SOLVED

Post by bicky »

I have had Linux Mint 7 INSIDE windows XP for several months / Years.
I decided to rebuild my system. I have installed Windows XP Professional, and Linux Mint 8 as a dual boot. When I boot up the priority is to the Mint which is fine - my problem is that this programme loads, but at the end of loading the cursor freezes, and I can do no more .
If I reboot, then select Xp - this boots and runs perfectly.
Any advice please on how to overcome this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Linux Mint 8 ON Windows Xp SOLVED

Post by Husse »

Solved - how?
Please include at least a short explanation if you solve something :)
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bicky »

I established that Mint 8 was unstable - lot of posts on this one - so I uninstalled mint 8 and reinstalled mint 7 - This also can easily be installed INSIDE Windows. Now everything is working just fine - except Skype which is always a problem on Linux. When Mint 8 is proven to be stable , and can be installed INSIDE Windows - I will give it another go
plumm

Post by plumm »

Hi,

I upgraded Gloria to Helena using the Upgrade to Linux Mint 8 tool and it seems to be working fine. There are few issues with some software hanging (Foo Billiard and Frozen Bubble, I miss them there addictive gems), and exiting Opera always crashes the panel. The previous version of glibc in Gloria crashed window decorations all the time. The UUID stuff I think is a departure from sanity, if you ask me. I haven't seen the "light bulb" for that yet. If you want stability instead of the bleeding edge, I think Debian is the way to go.

Cheers,

plumm
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you want stability instead of the bleeding edge, I think Debian is the way to go.
Ahem - try Debian testing :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”