RAID problem ?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BaidareW

RAID problem ?

Post by BaidareW »

Hi,
on Mint 8 installation everything worked fine (sees HDD wihout any problems), but after reboot there was no boot selection, straight away booting into windows. And it is not only LinuxMint problem, all recent distros wtih the same results.

Two HDD in raid. AMD chipset with Asus motherboard.

I found some suggestions on forum, but I don't think they are talking about same problem (grub2 problem ?)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: RAID problem ?

Post by MaddogF16 »

What version of Windows? What is the first HD on the system and what OSes are installed on it? Was Grub installed to the mbr of the first HD in the system?
BaidareW

Post by BaidareW »

Dual boot with Windows 7, grub was installed to default location (I think it is mbr) I changed only partition size manually. It seems that windows boots from different place and grub don't have any chance to show up.

What do you mean first HDD ? They are set as SATA RAID, DVD-ROM is also sata, but in BIOS I must set it to IDE, because otherwise system don't see it.

Thank you for your time.
BaidareW

Post by BaidareW »

Anyone :) ?
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Windows 7 and Grub2 don't see things the same way or more acurately Grub2 expects a typical windows install location and Windows 7 doesn't put it there, search the net or the forum for Grub2 & Windows 7 boot issues and you should find the proper grub.cfg change that will allow booting of Windows 7. Basically as I understand it Grub configures it like hda1,0 when it needs to be hda2,0.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

Slightly off topic, but I'm getting the distinct impression that M$ is trying to discourage people from dual booting because so many dual booters eventually jump off the fence onto the Linux side.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

You're getting the picture bright and clear, probably of great interest to them as this may make it harder to dual boot the likes of Google's new OS. :wink:

They under estimate the power of programmers and hackers from finding a good solid way to do it, which there is but once the fix can get implemented in Grub 2, they'll just find something else to muck up, anything that may discourage leapers.
3ss

Post by 3ss »

but after reboot there was no boot selection, straight away booting into windows
Seems like grub just wasn't installed properly. I boot Win 7, Win Server, Mint 8 and FreeBSD 8 nicely together so it's possible. Problem might be that your Mint partition didn't get marked as active. I would try to reinstall grub using a Live CD.

Return to “Installation & Boot”