SOLVED: Mint 8 ISO download problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emgy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emgy »

I am having a problem downloading a good copy of the Linux Mint 8 ISO.
Over the last 3 days I have downloaded about 12 different copies of the file, from different mirrors, and the MD5 checksum on each one is different. None are correct.

I have tried 2 different computers, one with Mint 7 and one with Windows 7. The problem persists whichever I use.

I have just downloaded a copy of Mint 7, and its checksum was correct.

In the last 2 minutes I downloaded Mint 8 from the Swedish mirror, and the checksum is wrong.

It seems unlikely that every copy of the Mint ISO on every mirror is faulty, but I really don't know what could be causing this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LarryJW

Re: Mint 8 ISO download problem

Post by LarryJW »

That's one I haven't heard of before but it certainly proves Murphy's law. What works for me is to use utorrent in Windows and select the torrent option from the official Mint link. Have you checked the health of your hard drive lately? There might be some bad sectors in there messing things up. There's a utility called UBCD (the Ultimate Boot Disk for DOS) that has utilities to check hard drive and memory health as well as detecting and repairing partition errors that occur often when mixing Windows and Linux- I always seem to get them anyway. Hope it helps a little if not a lot.
emgy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emgy »

I have finally downloaded a good copy on another computer with Mint 7 standard edition.
The Mint 7 laptop I used previously had the XFCE version.
Also, the ISO I downloaded on the Windows 7 computer had its MD5 sum checked on the XFCE computer - perhaps the MD5 sum checking utility on XFCE is faulty ( it gave the same checksum by right-clicking and using the menu option, as the checker within K3b).

Return to “Installation & Boot”