64bit gloria cannot get to boot after third time

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

64bit gloria cannot get to boot after third time

Postby PLC on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:51 am

I have tried to install over 8 ties now on 3 different machines and in every instance after about the third boot I get...
init:job process C:529 Unhandled error from job_process_spawn : Permission denied
Init:....... mountall shell main process : permission denied
Same in recovery mode.
I did a base install plus updates plus Nvidia driver +Inkscape, Pysdm, Smb4K , nothing exotic. I have tried installing same programmes with Debian and OpenSuse and yes, Ubuntu with no apparent problem.

Help please.
PLC
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 64bit gloria cannot get to boot after third time

Postby exploder on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:55 am

Maybe you had a bad burn? Try burning the iso again and see if the problem persists.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby PLC on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:25 pm

This is the third time this has happened each time with a new download AND I stress..... I boot AND everything runs fine, I close for the night and then re=boot and everything is fine but on the third boot I cannot "start" I get the error messages.
I have now downloaded for the fourth time and run without installing anything except the Nvidia driver (which will not save its x-org configuration no matter what including gksudo nvidia-settings....... this is a real mess and needs sorting at the lowest level) .............. but on the third boot I ALWAYS get the same problem.

I have installed and run successfully OpenSuse and Debian and other distros this is the only one with this problem.
A real pity as (when it does run) I prefer this flavour over all others.

Thanks for your reply
PLC
Level 2
Level 2

Postby exploder on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:50 pm

Have you tried installing and then going into Synaptic and installing all of the updates? It might be a kernel or xorg issue causing this. I had problems until I installed all of the updates. My system would boot up fine several times and then all of a sudden I would boot up and I would get a black screen because it suddenly couldn't figure out my screen resolution... Your problem is more serious but kind of along the same lines. You have definitely ruled out a bad burn as the cause of the issue. I would try installing all of the updates and see if that takes care of the problem.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby PLC on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:24 pm

I downloaded all the updates each and every time in fact I even refreshed but there was no update shown. I stress the same thing happens EVERY TIME. I download, burn the ISO install run and add a few programs, and everything is fine all programs work, second boot all OK, I do some work and then ALWAYS on the third boot the problem. ..... BUT the problem does not occur with the 32bit version. VERY strange. The other weird thing is that my xorg is empty except for a few lines...and I cannot get my NVidea to start with the correct resolution in spite of trying virtually very solution posted... on my next install I will post the contents. I really prefer Mint to either OpenSuse (too fancy) or Debian (too restrictive and almost impossible to set permissions) but unless this can be solved it looks like back to XP.
PLC
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot