Dual boot and partitioning

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual boot and partitioning

Postby richie43 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:18 pm

I currently have Mint and Vista dual booting on my family's main computer, dual processor and 4G ram. I also have Mint exclusively on my personal computer and have it partitioned following a few guides I saw that pertained, it seems, to an all Mint computer. The dual boot computer has Mint in only 2 partitions; root and swap. What would be a more efficient but possible partition scheme for the dual booting? Do I follow the same scheme as the other one and only adjust the sda#'s? Any help would be awesome. The single boot computer has less memory and only one processor but runs better. I believe it is due to the more thought out partitioning. Thanks in advance. By the way, I have tested MANY linux distros, and even if Mint is easier (for "noobs", according to some sites) I think that it is a great system and very usable and powerful. Does one really need to work so hard to have a productive and stable computer? Obviously not, thanks to Mint!

Rich
richie43
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual boot and partitioning

Postby Husse on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:06 pm

On a dual boot I'd have (apart from the Windows partitions of course) only root and swap but I'd mount a partition for my data in home that can be shared by both Mint and Windows
Most Windows system only have one partition so I'd mount that one
I'd not make it possible to write to Mint from Windows - which is simple as you have to install a third party program to even read ext3 (or other Linux file systems) in Windows
Mint on the other hand reads and writes ntfs just fine as I think you know
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Dual boot and partitioning

Postby Aging Technogeek on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:27 pm

For a detailed and informative discussion of installation and partitioning see this

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872&start=0

It should be required reading for all Linux newcomers.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Return to Installation & Boot