Helena- having trouble with md5- linux mint 8

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ariaane

Helena- having trouble with md5- linux mint 8

Post by ariaane »

Hi,

Can someone tell me what exactly to put in the command line to use the md5 functon.

My linux mint 8 ISO file and md5 programme is in the exact same place- I have not extracted or run the programme yet as no instructions I have read have advised this.

I have followed these insturctions exactly (apart from renaming the files as needed), but to no avail: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Helena- having trouble with md5- linux mint 8

Post by remoulder »

ariaane wrote:My linux mint 8 ISO file and md5 programme is in the exact same place- I have not extracted or run the programme yet as no instructions I have read have advised this.
Extracted what program? Why is the md5 program in the same place as you .iso, have you downloaded something called md5 of are you talking about MD5SUMS?
ariaane wrote:apart from renaming the files as needed
I don't see anywhere it asks you to rename files?

Maybe you're getting confused about what md5 does? It's simply a check that the file you downloaded to your drive is exactly the same as the one on the server and hasn't been corrupted during the download. The only differences from the ubuntu page are that the filename will be different and the md5 hash should match the one on the mint download page.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

Never having burned a CD from the command line, I don't know what you would do. But the md5 sum is just a checksum, not a function. You can see the md5sum of the iso you downloaded by right clicking it in the Nautilus file browser or the browser in your CD burning program. Then just compare that number with the one contained in the md5sum file which you can see by opening the md5 file in any text editor. At least that's how I do it. Someone else may have a more elegant method. 8)
pompom

Post by pompom »

Welcome to Linux Mint!

Assuming we have already found the closest mirror (here ftp://linuxfreedom.com) in order to download the Linux Mint 8 32-bit Standard edition, the easiest is using wget inside the destination directory:

Code: Select all

wget -c ftp://linuxfreedom.com/linuxmint/linuxmint.com/stable/8/LinuxMint-8.iso (change file name as needed)
the -c option will invoke wget to continue if interrupted, just run the command again and it will resume the download where it left off. In order to verify integrity type 'md5sum LinuxMint.iso' inside the same directory and it will calculate the sum, check if it is the same as the one listed on the server, the output will return in a few seconds with

06fc2f27f8352a2bac5516b86c020755 LinuxMint-8.iso

To burn to a disk, inside Gnome right click on the iso file and select "Write to Disk", insert disk when prompted, select slowest speed then "Start". Or from command line in BASH

wodim --devices  (this will echo device name as in: 0 dev='/dev/scd0'  rwrw-- : 'TEAC' 'DV-W24E')
wodim -dev='/dev/scd0' -tao /path/to/LinuxMint-8.iso  (copy device name section exactly)
Cheers,

pompom
ariaane

Post by ariaane »

mikeyb wrote:
ariaane wrote:My linux mint 8 ISO file and md5 programme is in the exact same place- I have not extracted or run the programme yet as no instructions I have read have advised this.
Extracted what program? Why is the md5 program in the same place as you .iso, have you downloaded something called md5 of are you talking about MD5SUMS?
ariaane wrote:apart from renaming the files as needed
I don't see anywhere it asks you to rename files?

Maybe you're getting confused about what md5 does? It's simply a check that the file you downloaded to your drive is exactly the same as the one on the server and hasn't been corrupted during the download. The only differences from the ubuntu page are that the filename will be different and the md5 hash should match the one on the mint download page.

Hi, I have a programme called md5sum downloaded. In order to check the ISO is legit, I have read that you need to move the ISO file and md5um to the same location.

And yes, I am aware what the md5 is meant to do.
ariaane

Post by ariaane »

pompom wrote:Welcome to Linux Mint!

Assuming we have already found the closest mirror (here ftp://linuxfreedom.com) in order to download the Linux Mint 8 32-bit Standard edition, the easiest is using wget inside the destination directory:

wget -c ftp://linuxfreedom.com/linuxmint/linuxmint.com/stable/8/LinuxMint-8.iso (change file name as needed)
the -c option will invoke wget to continue if interrupted, just run the command again and it will resume the download where it left off. In order to verify integrity type 'md5sum LinuxMint.iso' inside the same directory and it will calculate the sum, check if it is the same as the one listed on the server, the output will return in a few seconds with

To burn to a disk, inside Gnome right click on the iso file and select "Write to Disk", insert disk when prompted, select slowest speed then "Start". Or from command line in BASH

wodim --devices  (this will echo device name as in: 0 dev='/dev/scd0'  rwrw-- : 'TEAC' 'DV-W24E')
wodim -dev='/dev/scd0' -tao /path/to/LinuxMint-8.iso  (copy device name section exactly)
Cheers,

pompom
You've mistaken what I'm trying to get across.

I'm not trying to burn anything yet, nor will I be trying to burn the ISO from the command line.

What I am asking is this:

If my ISO file and the md5 sum is in the same location, how do I use the md5 sum to check that the ISO is legit.

What exactly do I have to type in the command line to check the file. I need exact details for the command line prompt, in particular on how to write the command line for the C drive, where the ISO and md5 sum are located.
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

ariaane wrote:
pompom wrote:Welcome to Linux Mint!

Cheers,

pompom
You've mistaken what I'm trying to get across.

I'm not trying to burn anything yet, nor will I be trying to burn the ISO from the command line.

What I am asking is this:

If my ISO file and the md5 sum is in the same location, how do I use the md5 sum to check that the ISO is legit.

What exactly do I have to type in the command line to check the file. I need exact details for the command line prompt, in particular on how to write the command line for the C drive, where the ISO and md5 sum are located.
ariaane, at first, I thought you missed what pompom wrote:
In order to verify integrity type 'md5sum LinuxMint.iso' inside the same directory and it will calculate the sum, check if it is the same as the one listed on the server, the output will return in a few seconds with

Then I noticed that you said they are on C drive. I guess, if you're in Windows, that command would not work. I have no idea what the Windows command would be.
breaker

Post by breaker »

Which MD5 sum checker did you download? In windows I installed one called "Hash Tab" that let me right-click any file to get the sum. There are many other md5 checksum programs for Windows. Check google or softpedia or something.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

arianne, sorry my post came across wrong, this is a case where lack of information lead to false assumptions. Maybe if you'd mentioned you were on Windows in your first post you would have received more appropriate responses? Bear in mind this is a support forum for linux not windows.

If you are following the 'MD5SUM on Windows' section on the ubuntu howto page, then you have probably downloaded a file called MD5Sum.exe which is a command line program. I would suggest you delete this and follow the link in that section for winMD5Sum where you be able to download the file install-winMD5SUM.exe. You need to double click that file in Windows Explorer and follow the instructions to install the program.

Once you have done that refer back to the 'MD5SUM on Windows' section on how to use it to verify the MD5 for the linuxmint8.iso.

This way you do not need to use the command line at all, it is all done within Windows Explorer. Hope that helps.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Installation & Boot”