[SOLVED] Win XP as default boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] Win XP as default boot

Postby hansencomputers on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi,
I just set-up Mint 8 as a dual boot with Windows XP for my neighbor. At boot-up, I get the selection screen. Win XP is at the bottom. I would like to make Win XP the default choice to start. Or can I make the boot up process stop at the choices screen, and wait for input?

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by hansencomputers on Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Win XP as default boot

Postby remoulder on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Mike, you need to edit the file /etc/default/grub as root. You can do this by pressing ALT+F2 then typing gksu gedit /etc/default/grub and clicking Run.

You need to know the relative position of the entry for Windows starting from zero. On my system I have 2 entries for mint and 2 for memtest, so if I had windows it would be at position 4. Then in gedit, change the 0 on the line GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to the position of XP. I believe you can also put saved instead of a number to have grub default to the last entry you chose on the previous boot.

For an indefinite menu, change the number on the line grub_timeout= to -1.

Save the file and exit gedit, then open a terminal and enter sudo update-grub. Next time you reboot your changes should be in place.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby hansencomputers on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:17 pm

For an indefinite menu, change the number on the line grub_timeout= to -1.

I tried this first, but it continues to have the 10 second timer. Any thoughts?

Mike
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Postby remoulder on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:58 pm

hansencomputers wrote:I tried this first, but it continues to have the 10 second timer

Did you edit the /etc/default/grub file? Did you edit it as root, ie. sudo/gksu? Did you run sudo update-grub in a terminal afterwards? Did you get any errors?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

[SOLVED] Re: Win XP as default boot

Postby hansencomputers on Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Sorry, I forgot the Grub update part of the process.

problem solved
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot