I installed Mint 8 via Parallels desktop 5 for fun and was having problems with screen resolutions so I figured, what the hell, I'll install a copy on an external firewire drive, after all, that couldn't hurt anything on my internal hard drive right? Well needless to say something went very wrong. I'm going to try to be as detailed as possible in hopes someone can help me fix this without me having to completely reinstall OS X.
Macbook Pro 17"
OS X 10.5.8 on a 500GB HD with no partitions
No special bootloaders etc
External 30GB firwire drive.
1. DLed Mint 8 iso, and made a live CD
2. Loaded live CD by holding "option" while booting up my mac and selected to boot from the live CD
3. With the live CD booted, used Disk Utility to format external drive to ext4 filesystem
4. Went about installing Mint on the external drive via the desktop installation package. Allowed Mint to use the entire external drive.
5. When Mint finished installing got to the "remove LiveCD and press Enter" so I did.
6. Upon reboot loaded to grey screen, and the good ol' flashing "?" Folder icon
7. Tried rebooting using "option" startup, nothing with the ability to start up found.
8. Restart again and load factory 10.5 install DVD. Internal drive is recognized as having a bootable install of OS X 10.5.8 in "Startup Disk." Used Disk Utilities to repair permission and disk of both the volume and the drive itself. Only a few permissions needing repairing and there were no errors found when running repair disk.
9. Reboot and nothing again.
10. Use Drive Genius 2.2 to repair disk, report says no problems found, reboot, nothing. Verify again by loading factory OS X DVD and using "startup disk" that OS X is still there.
11. Use Tech Tools 5 to repair disk, report says no problems found, reboot, nothing. Verify again by loading factory OS X DVD and using "startup disk" that OS X is still there.
12. Start Macbook Pro in target mode and try to boot OS X via firewire from girlfriends MacBook. Does not recognize.
13. Tried swapping girlfriends MacBook's "BootX" and "boot.efi" with my MacBook Pro's. Notta
14. Tried installing rEFIt using the "Installing on a separate volume or external disk" guide on their site. Seemed install but didn't do anything.
15. Tried using their live CD option, and it saw I had a drive with OS X on it but when I tried to load it, grey screen, then reloaded the CD (because it didn't find the OS). Was going to use their Disk Utility/Installer but it said it had to partition the drive, and I am not sure if thats doing be destructive or not.
As it stands right now all my files seem to be fine on my internal drive. All my media, applications etc etc, are showing up when I use another computer to examine the drive. I could back them up and reinstall OS X, but I have a huge sample library and a lot of programs I would have to reauthorize, and I would rather not. I'll try anything that might help, post logs, etc. I am NOT experienced with Linux and not that great at using the Terminal either. If I can get Mint running too that'd be a bonus.