USB Boot [Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NimaSepassi

USB Boot [Solved]

Post by NimaSepassi »

Hi folks,

I need a to boot from a USB flash drive. The one I have is only 640 MB.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Nima
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: USB Boot

Post by MaddogF16 »

Little small there Nima, can you find a 2gb for cheap.
NimaSepassi

Post by NimaSepassi »

Yeah I could, however the only thing I really need is to eject the CD drive. Apparently it needs an OS in place. After that I can just boot from the CD.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

NimaSepassi wrote:Hi folks,

I need a to boot from a USB flash drive. The one I have is only 640 MB.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Nima
You might try Puppy Linux, it is small enough to fit and it loads into RAM. Here is a link:
http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?fi ... tarted.htm
NimaSepassi

Post by NimaSepassi »

Bob,

I downloaded the iso but can't figure out to make it boot from a USB flash drive.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Nima
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

NimaSepassi wrote:Bob,

I downloaded the iso but can't figure out to make it boot from a USB flash drive.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Nima
First you need to burn the ISO to a CD, then using the installer (one of the icons on the desktop of Puppy when you run the CD) you set it up in the USB. Check the Puppy site, there are instructions for this in details.
NimaSepassi

Post by NimaSepassi »

The Puppy website proved too complicated to be useful.

Somehow I was able to eject the CD drive without booting from the USB. I installed Ubuntu just so I can have access to the hard drive. Then I burned a Mint Linux CD and installed over it.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm not sure why the CD drive started to work again. Perhaps I did create a bootable USB flash drive with only system files. It was inserted when I booted. I'm not sure, I'm just stoked my laptop's up and running.

-Nima

Return to “Installation & Boot”