Cannot Install Helena. HELP!!!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cannot Install Helena. HELP!!!

Postby Gothica on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:03 am

I'm a newbie to Linux and must say that I've completely taken to it. I've got Linux Mint 8 (Helena) running fine on my HCL laptop (2 GB RAM, 160GB HD, Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86 GHz). But I can't seem to be able to install either Mint 8 or 7 on my PC (1GB RAM, 160GB HD, AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 3800+). I can see the the boot menu giving me the options to run the live CD or install directly. But when I choose any of those options, the mint logo comes on for quite a long time and then the screen goes grey and then black. The same thing happens with Ubuntu (for obvious reasons). So now I'm (grudgingly) running Fedora 12 on my PC.

What must be the problem? Please help, coz I like Mint better.

PS: I've tried writing the image files on the CD at slower speeds but that didn't help. Also, both my PC and laptop HDs are SATA.
Gothica
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot Install Helena. HELP!!!

Postby revdjenk on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Gothica,

This sounds like some driver issue which Fedora has run into before, but not Ubuntu (and its derivatives, like Mint!)
Found this on Husse's help (above in the pink area)
Compatibility mode - Press any key while the live CD/DVD counts down - to get some settings changes known to help in booting troublesome computers

Try some of these boot options to get your Minty freshness!

God Bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy
revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot