GUI Front End for modifying GRUB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

GUI Front End for modifying GRUB

Postby aj_nc on Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:26 am

Greetings,

My PC already had XP and PCLinuxOS 2007 on the HD, and after playing with Mint 3 (Cassandra) Live CD, I was pleased to add it to the HD and experiment with it from there.

I'm happy to say that all is working well, and I'm impressed by the good work done here (and I've made a donation to support Clem and team to show my appreciation).

I would like to tweak the Grub setup a bit, but I've never been brave enough to hack the files directly, for fear of hosing my system. PCLinuxOS has a boot section in it's Control Center, that allows mods without going into the grub command directly. I couldn't find a similar tool in Mint, nor did I find an answer in forum & wiki searches. Does Mint have such a tool?

Cheers,
AJ
aj_nc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby newW2 on Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:36 am

Look at the Mint Software Portal, in the system tools section. There you'll find SUM. Read the description. If you select sum you will be at the download screen, and there are screen shots and link to the site. Perhaps SUM is what you want.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Adler on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:15 pm

OMG, here's another little gem that I'll have to look at.

Will the cool stuff here never end!

BTW, I'll be making my contribution soonest.

Adler
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Postby aj_nc on Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:01 pm

newW2 wrote:Look at the Mint Software Portal, in the system tools section. There you'll find SUM. Read the description. If you select sum you will be at the download screen, and there are screen shots and link to the site. Perhaps SUM is what you want.

Thanks newW2. SUM worked nicely, and in parallel, I've done some reading on GRUB, so I'm no longer afraid to open menu.lst in gedit and make mods directly.

Is there any reason why SUM is available on the portal, and not via Synaptic?

Cheers,
AJ
aj_nc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby KernelJ on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:28 pm

I think SUM's interface could be a little simpler - for example it doesn't seem to make adding a new partition to boot from that easy. But definitely "+1" on the idea of integrating a GRUB GUI to Linux Mint.
KernelJ
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot