[Solved] Overwriting distros

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pezonik

[Solved] Overwriting distros

Post by pezonik »

I used Ubuntu for more than a year and finally decided to try something else. I have a lousy Via S3 UniChrome chipset, so you can imagine the problems I had. I read somewhere that sidux was a possible solutions, so I installed sidux. It wasn't what I expected and the video performance was even worse.

I decided to give Mint 8 a try. I want to install Mint over sidux. Just one OS is enough for me. How can I do it? I don't know how to use the manual partitions properly. I just want to erase sidux and move on.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
edwinv

Re: Overwriting distros

Post by edwinv »

upon install you can choose to use the entire disk - this way the disk will be entirely formatted - and you can install mint 8
pezonik

Post by pezonik »

The problem is that it would delete the other two partitions... I just want to format the partition that contains sidux.
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

What are the other two partitions and what is their size ?
If one is a swap partition , just leave it.
If the other partition is a data partition that originally was mounted on your old system /home , then there may be some User hidden files such as e-mail that you want to use.

There is a tricky way of saving some of those hidden files.

But the safe way would be to save all your e-mails , attachments , addresses and other documents as individual files into some kind of storage drive, then re-format your data partition to ext3 or ext4 , then rer-format your root partition . You can use a Mint Live disk and find GPartEd which will re-format specified partitions without changing their size.

Then run the new installer and use manual partitioning , set your OS target partition as mounted on ' / ' , and set the data partition as mounted on /home . Then a new User desktop will set itself up where you can put your saved files back into.
pezonik

Post by pezonik »

StanTheMan wrote: Then run the new installer and use manual partitioning , set your OS target partition as mounted on ' / ' , and set the data partition as mounted on /home . Then a new User desktop will set itself up where you can put your saved files back into.
How can I do it? First I re-formatted the sda - ext4 partition. Now I'm running the installer and I haven't found where to set the "OS target" and the rest. This is kind of serious right now: It says I don't have a OS anymore :?

I attach the screenshots for help.
pezonik

Post by pezonik »

OK... it's solved. I double-clicked on the partition I wanted to use, selected "ext4..." in the box that asked what I wanted to do and formatted the partition. Thanks StanTheMan!

Return to “Installation & Boot”