Passing boot options in a USB live situation [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
greatbigdragon

Passing boot options in a USB live situation [SOLVED]

Post by greatbigdragon »

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me with their know-how.

I have set up a USB "Pen Drive Linux" on a 4GB flash drive and am trying to get it so that the live part works how I want it to. Unfortunately, the wireless on my laptop requires that I pass this boot option: pci=use_crs . I tried going the normal route - that is, editing /etc/default/grub and putting that option into the CMDLINE DEFAULT spot where it should go - and I saved it, but when I ran "sudo update-grub" it gave the error

grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /.

I can get the boot option in by pressing Tab in the grub menu and sticking the option into the line somewhere, but I was wondering what I have to edit or do in order to get it in there so I can boot into the Live install every time with that option without having to take the extra step? I can't find grub.conf. I can't find menu.lst. I can't find much of anything, it seems, and I think it has to do with it being a live system on USB.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Passing boot options in a USB live situation

Post by Husse »

Which version of Mint?
Probably 8 and it does not have a menu.lst or a grub.conf
How exactly did you change - the line before and after please
greatbigdragon

Post by greatbigdragon »

Yes, sorry it's Mint 8 x64 and what I'm trying to do is pass it a specific boot option . . . I tried the "adding the pci=use_crs option to GRUB" in the post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1336022 . I actually did this post-install on my laptop and it worked like a charm. Now, I'm trying to achieve the same result for the bootable USB version except trying to run update-grub results in the error I mentioned before.

Here's the section of /etc/default/grub that I modified:
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT="10"
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=use_crs"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
As you see, I added the "pci=use_crs" in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line there and tried to run update-grub, but it doesn't work the same as in an installed system. It gives this error:
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /.
What I would like is a persistent method of having this boot option without having to hit tab and putting it in myself when the boot menu comes up (when booting from the USB Live option.)
Husse

Post by Husse »

grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /
I'm afraid that's something you have to live with - grub is not used on a live system, I should have considered that this was a live system but I did not, to interested in different grubs (if one can say grubs :))
There may be another way by changing the boot.img but that's way beyond what I can tell you without quite a bit of research
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

greatbigdragon wrote:What I would like is a persistent method of having this boot option
You could always make your own livecd, see here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=688872
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
greatbigdragon

Post by greatbigdragon »

Ah, I see. So I'm coming at it from the wrong angle. I'll have to look into making a custom live CD, thanks for that link, Remoulder, and thanks for your help Husse.

Does anyone know which file a live USB distro uses to create the boot menu, then?

Return to “Installation & Boot”