vesamenu.c32 Error at Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Diondeville

vesamenu.c32 Error at Boot

Post by Diondeville »

Hello All, I'm a recent (last few months) convert to Mint from Kubuntu, have successfully installed Mint onto one machine without errors but I'm getting errors when I attempt to install it onto a second (older) machine. The story so far with the failed installation....

Old Intel Duron PC with 256mb of RAM and 80GB HDD, had Windows XP on it, develops regular problems when tampered with by visitors to my home so I opted to install Mint onto it and thus prevent visitors from making system wide changes. When I first installed Mint onto it (yes, I succeeded once!) I had to do it through Windows because the PC failed to boot from CD ROM no matter what BIOS setting I used. When I clicked the Mint ISO I was prompted to either install Mint within Windows else allow Mint to alter the XP Boot Menu's choice of OS's such that I could boot the Mint Installer CD ROM. I chose to wipe Windows and load the disk via an option added to XP's boot menu. That option allowed me to install Mint 7 i386 KDE successfully. However, it ran too slow so I decided I would wipe everything and install the Gnome edition. Fortunately, since wiping Windows the PC will now boot from CD ROM. Unfortunately, I can't boot any Mint CD ROM inclusive of the one I successfully installed. I can boot other Live Disks but not Mint. Every time I try to boot Mint I get the error:
vesamenu.c32: attempted DOS system call
boot:
I believe the error relates to the kernal or boot image not being found. I also believe that if I enter its location after the boot prompt then I might be able to get the installation to start. I could be wrong but does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should type after the prompt? Can I install my own version of GRUB onto the HDD and point it directly to the necessary binary to get the install started?

I have used UMBCD to clear the CMOS just in case that was the issue but the error still occurs. I've thought about re-installing XP and starting the installation from within XP again but I'd rather not do that.

All suggestions welcome except those of "re-burn it" and "re-download it". The problem won't be resolved that way. I've tried two separate downloads of two versions (7 and 8 ) and the problem remains so it has to be something else.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Diondeville

Re: vesamenu.c32 Error at Boot

Post by Diondeville »

After a lot of research I now know the problem is caused by vesamenu.c32 being incompatible with my BIOS version. Vesamenu provides a nice graphical boot menu but, unfortunately, it attempts to run VESA graphics code in the BIOS and my BIOS (and many older ones) do not support it.

I've looked at the config file and tried to run the installation by typing:

/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot.casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash

at the boot prompt. The installation gets a little further but then chokes with the same error as described above before it gets chance to actually do anything meaningful.

Does anybody know how I can replace vesamenu.c32 with a simple text menu or how I can prevent vesamenu.c32 from running VESA code in the BIOS?

Currently, I'm attempting to install Acitoneiso so I can edit the iso image.
Diondeville

Post by Diondeville »

I've looked further in to it and I still can't find a solution. It would be great help if someone could tell me how to start the installation using the Ultimate Boot CD or similar. I imagine all I need to know is which binary to run to get the install going without the GUI installer.
breaker

Post by breaker »

Which other Live discs can you boot? My thought is to use a live disc to put grub2 on your drive, then use it to boot an iso directly from your drive.

However, on second thought, you might try a usb flash drive install, if you can boot to usb, you can make one on your Windows computer using unetbootin and the iso, if you can't boot to usb, you can install the PLoP boot manager to your hdd mbr and use it to boot usb (has built-in usb drivers).

So your drive is wiped now though?
Diondeville

Post by Diondeville »

Hi Breaker, the computer has a BIOS and mobo from 2002. It can boot from USB but can't boot the Mint Live Disc because the installer uses a graphical interface that attempts run VESA code through the BIOS and the BIOS doesn't support it. For now, I've re-installed Windows onto it.

The first installation of Mint onto the computer was brought about by my loading the Mint KDE iso image from within Windows. The installer began and pointed out that I'd need to either install Mint along side Windows else I could have the installer insert a bit of code into the Windows boot menu so that the installer could run as an OS option when the computer booted. Unfortunately, the Gnome version of Mint doesn't provide that option. The Windows executable on the KDE Live Disc is now only providing the option to install Linux within Windows or Linux along side windows and not Linux without Windows (I can't work out why the options have changed).

As you said, if I could install GRUB I could get the disc to boot from the HDD. There is one problem with that idea, it still runs vesamenu.c32 which attempts to load the VESA driver through the BIOS. What I need to know is how I can get the the Gnome Mint installer to start without using a graphical installer menu. All I want to do is start the installer without VESA. I think the only option I have is to use the Ubuntu Alternate CD (which uses a text based installer) and forget installing Mint onto that particular PC.
breaker

Post by breaker »

Aha, I understand you more clearly now. I don't know if the OEM install mode would bypass this, but I've not heard good things about it. So, I think they called the Mint from Windows wubi, and Mint 8 doesn't have it, but 7 does. I like the MInt 7 XFCE version, have you tried that? Otherwise yes, you might have to settle for the Ubuntu minimal disc. I used that once to do a net install on an Mac PPC laptop with a broken CD drive, good times.
hapihakr

Post by hapihakr »

I got the same exact error: "vesamenu.c32: attempted DOS system call" and I got past it by entering this at the boot prompt: "live vga=ask" and then doing absolutely nothing for the couple of minutes it took to boot. The vga=ask parameter causes a prompt for the vga mode... let it timeout (30 seconds)... then the screen goes blank until X-Windows is loaded (a couple minutes)... but during that time the CD is being accessed and the OS is loading... be patient.
rob1408

Post by rob1408 »

hapihakr wrote:I got the same exact error: "vesamenu.c32: attempted DOS system call" and I got past it by entering this at the boot prompt: "live vga=ask" and then doing absolutely nothing for the couple of minutes it took to boot. The vga=ask parameter causes a prompt for the vga mode... let it timeout (30 seconds)... then the screen goes blank until X-Windows is loaded (a couple minutes)... but during that time the CD is being accessed and the OS is loading... be patient.
Thanks an absolute million for this. I've always struggled to boot any live Mint disc (with Gloria I had to type 'Live' at the dos prompt) on my antiquated PC, I've always found a way as I love Mint but this had me stumped (I don't like updating each distro). The instructions you posted worked flawlessly and I'm now enjoying Helena.

Thanks again.
Diondeville

Post by Diondeville »

Thank you Hapihakr, I'll give it a go.

In the end I gave up and stuck Windows back on it as a quick solution. I'll install Linux on it when no ones looking. SSSssshhhhh!

Return to “Installation & Boot”