Install Linux Mint fails hardcore

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
j0eh4x

Install Linux Mint fails hardcore

Post by j0eh4x »

Ok so here's my setup
Asus G50V with XP + Ubuntu dual boot
I booted the cd like 5 times one time i got through the installer and the partitioner crashed, another time I couldnt get the installer to even open.
So I finally got it to work. I go through and choose to shrink my xp partition to allow space of Mint. All goes well... I get to the end and click install and bam installer closes
I rerun the installer and when I get to the partitioner I have a big blank free space where linux mint was suppose to install. So far the only thing linux mint has done for me is screw up my partition scheme which is disappointing because I was eager and excited when i found mint.

My question is ... How can I fix my partitions from ubuntu ? installing gparted now, and secondly how can I get linuxmint to install?
i've ran an integrity check on the mint disk and all checks out fine. any suggestions
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
j0eh4x

Re: Install Linux Mint fails hardcore

Post by j0eh4x »

NeverMind on fixing the partition, if and when i get it to install ill tell it to use free space
Fred

Post by Fred »

j0eh4x,

This sounds like a bad CD/DVD, regardless of what your integrity checks say. Burn on another brand of CD/DVD s-l-o-w, < 8X, I burn mine at 4X. Also, Burn in a RAW mode, preferably DAO. Then try again.

Fred
j0eh4x

Post by j0eh4x »

Thanx for the timely response will burn another cd and notify of results when done
j0eh4x

Post by j0eh4x »

After the 3rd slow burned disc i'm thinking about giving up on mint, why pull my hair out when ubuntu is working just fine. (unless someone has a brilliant idea)
The installer runs just fine on all the disc's but when i get to the last step and I click install the installer instantly closes. Like its not even taking time to think about it(is it installing in the background?) i dont think thats the case because when i run the installer again i still have an empty partition. Any ideas? :?
breaker

Post by breaker »

Well, maybe it's not a bad CD, but if it is, you can make a bootable usb flash drive from the iso (which you should have checked the md5 sum of) and use that to install. You can do this by downloading unetbootin from Windows, it is super easy. Obviously your computer has to be able to boot from usb.

Otherwise I suppose it could be a conflict with your hardware and the installer. If so, try Mint 7, it is just as good as 8, maybe better IMHO.

Return to “Installation & Boot”