Desktop does not load under Administrator ID/password

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BobbyMac

Desktop does not load under Administrator ID/password

Post by BobbyMac »

Hi,

I have searched without any luck. I installed Mint 8 on my IBM ThinkPad X61s. At the install it asked if it should automatically decrypt my home file. I chose yes. I ran update. It updated and I rebooted without a problem. Then I created a User Account also password protected. Rebooted many times with no problems. Everything was working fine.

I then transferred all of my documents and media from my back up drive onto my ThinkPad into my Administrative Account. After I transferred all the media; I decided to change my Administrator password. I went to users/groups and reset the password. Well it hung and just kept spinning it's wheels. I got frustrated and force the machine off and then rebooted. I tried again and the same thing, it just hung there. So I again forced a shut down. I then went into passwards/encryption and tried to change the password there. That to failed to work but after that shut down I no longer was able to boot to the Administrator Desktop.

This poses a huge problem for me. I can no longer access the documents and media since it was stored under the Administrative account. This ordinarily wouldn't be a big issue, however it is because previous to this I wiped my back up drive to reclaim a few partitions. So that account has all of my documents and media. The music and videos I can live without, but I have documents on there that I don't have hard copies of and that are vital to my existence.

I was able to switch my User Account to an Administrative role.

The following are the errors I receive in the order they appear one after another at boot up:
1. Could not update file ICEauthority file,
then I press OK
2. There is a problem with the configuration server. /usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256,
the I press OK
3. Nautilus could not create the following folders:
/home/bobby/Desktop
/home/bobby/Nautilus

Please tell me there is a solution for this? Thanks in advance.

Bobby
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
breaker

Re: Desktop does not load under Administrator ID/password

Post by breaker »

So are you saying your drive is encrypted? If not you can get your data using the Live CD. As far as the errors, I don't know, but you can boot to a root account and change passwords from there (put /bin/bash after your linux kernel line in the grub menu), or just boot a Live CD and edit your /etc/passwd file. You'll need to know how to use the shell.
BobbyMac

Post by BobbyMac »

Just to be clear, My drive is encrypted but that is at the bios level and I don't have any issues with that. The issue resides (I believe) in my Home folder under my Administrator Account being encrypted. I'll try the Live CD and get back with results. Thanks for the initial advice. Bobby
r72rock

Post by r72rock »

I've had the same exact problem happen to me. I just changed my password about a week or two ago, and since then, I haven't been able to log in after I rebooted. I've tried a couple things to fix it, such as:

Code: Select all

sudo chown robert:robert /home/robert/.ICEauthority
But all that it comes up with is an error message saying that it could find those files. I'm completely lost, and frustrated. :evil:

Return to “Installation & Boot”