Rewrite Mint partition with new distro?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ShinigamiXV

Rewrite Mint partition with new distro?

Post by ShinigamiXV »

Hello.

I have been using Linux Mint for a month now, and upgraded from 7 to 8 succesfully with the mintUpgrade tool. However, I have decided to switch to Fedora. What I am wondering is, can I format my main Mint partition and install fedora over it?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Rewrite Mint partition with new distro?

Post by Fornhamfred »

Pity you are leaving Mint but the answer is yes.
ShinigamiXV

Post by ShinigamiXV »

Fornhamfred wrote:Pity you are leaving Mint but the answer is yes.
I liked it while I had it, but Fedora seems like it will serve my interests better. I did get my dad to switch to it though, so all is not in vain :) .
ShinigamiXV

Post by ShinigamiXV »

I probably should have made my first post more specific. I dualboot xp along with Mint, and just want to be sure that formatting mint and installing fedora wont screw with things. I am pretty sure it would reinstall the bootloader, so I dont think it would...
breaker

Post by breaker »

ShinigamiXV wrote:
I probably should have made my first post more specific. I dualboot xp along with Mint, and just want to be sure that formatting mint and installing fedora wont screw with things. I am pretty sure it would reinstall the bootloader, so I dont think it would...
You might want to ask about that in a Fedora forum, but probably not, however, you know how it goes, anything that can go wrong probably will.

If you have the storage somewhere, you might want to backup your entire drive using something like Clonezilla, just in case.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

The only problem I had with installing Fedora 12, was the boot-loader in Fedora never did recognize any other OS.

Not Windows or Linux ... even after, an update. I don't think they use Grub ?

And it took me a while to figure out the "log-in a Terminal as su- permissions" thing ? But, overall, I thought Fedora 12 was a grand distro. No problems from me, otherwise.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

To access windows at boot, you need to hit a key as boots up, when it suggests you do so, to get the full boot menu offering linux and "oher", other usually being windows.

Return to “Installation & Boot”