Installing from USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Installing from USB

Postby foxofwar226 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Hello,
I am running Mint 7 on my laptop and am ready to upgrade to 8, but when I tried to make a live disc to install from, I discovered some broken hardware in my optical that made it impossible - so my next course of action was to install from a USB flash drive. Now, the problem I'm facing is that I am in clean over my head! I searched forever for different methods to creating a bootable USB drive, finding only programs for use in windows, or extremely technical information that i could not understand. I did find a program called "USB Startup Disc Creator" (apt-get install usb-creator) but every time I try to run it, the program responds with "Unable to determine the partition number" and terminates. Can anyone out there give a hand? I know the first thing everybody is going to tell me is "Google it," or "there's a topic for this." If there is, please link me, I've been looking for two weeks.
foxofwar226
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing from USB

Postby Jeff91 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:26 pm

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install unetbootin

That will do the trick for you - you will then need a copy of the Mint 8 iso and a blank 1gig or larger flash drive formatted to fat32.

Regards,
~Jeff
Jeff91
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot