Dual boot - how much room to give Mint? [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual boot - how much room to give Mint? [SOLVED]

Postby AndrewH on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:44 am

I'm getting a 1 TB hard drive in a few days, which will be added to the 250 GB hard drive I already have. I'm thinking of giving Windows 7 the bulk of the 250 GB hard drive, and splitting the new TB hard drive between Linux Mint and a shared NTFS data partition both operating systems can access. I don't plan on installing too much beyond what Mint already comes with, but it's always nice to have room to grow. So my question is, how much space would you allocate for Mint?
Last edited by AndrewH on Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual boot - how much room to give Mint?

Postby Aging Technogeek on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:27 am

Mint will fit easily in 15 Gb with plenty of room to grow. With a Terabyte available, give Mint whatever you want.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby linkmint on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:09 pm

I agree with Aging Technogeek, I always give 20 GB to mint (or any other linux), I did this when I installed mint a year and a half ago and I still have ~7 GB available, because I have a win%&/ XP virtual machine of 6 GB. What I did with my TB HDD is the following:

1 200 GB NTFS partition for music only.
1 200 GB NTFS partition for videos only.
1 200 GB NTFS partition for Misc. data.
1 330 GB ext3 partition for back up. (Including journal it uses ~6 GB but is safer than NTFS)

I used NTFS since the filesystem is only 80 MB, but I'm well aware it's not the safest nor the better place to back up important data, because of fragmentation and because it can be accessed from win%&/, but it's small enough and win%&/ compatible (pros and cons). The ext3 partition is to back up important data since It has a better permision arquitechture and is less likely to become fragmented also thanks to the journal it's less suceptible to become corrupted in the event of power loss, and as I said if you set that only a specific user can view and edit data, even if you boot from a diferent linux only that user will be able to view and edit data, something that I truly like (Of course if you can overide these permisions via root but it's a little bit more secure :wink:). Well that is my suggestion hope it serves you to make a decision.
linkmint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AndrewH on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:26 pm

20 GB is plenty? Good to know, thank you!
AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Postby StanTheMan on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:35 pm

I have my Linux Mint Helena running a 6 GB root partition . I have a lot of applications installed and I have never had this partition using more than 5 GB . It would be possible to have a bunch of old files in /home/UserName/trash . But I have always cleared the Trash regularly.
StanTheMan
Level 5
Level 5

Postby gordon.cooke on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:39 am

I made a separate /home partition. (Home is where all your documents, music etc go by default, for those who dont know)

My root partition (everything else) has under 6Gb used, even after installing some new software. (The whole partition is only 12 Gb so I have plenty of room for new software)

Heres an idea for you- I have a TB drive I use just for music and video, since the wifes laptop and our desktop is still on Vista it is NTFS. In Mint I created a mount point inside of my home directory and set up fstab to handle it whenever I start up my computer. That way instead of having to navigate to a different 'drive' under computer, I can find my music and vids right where I want them in my home directory.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mint 13 64bit Cinnamon
Asus U56E Laptop, Core i5-2410M, Intel graphics, 6GB RAM
Mint 9 64bit
Averatec 2573 Laptop, AMD Turion 64x2, ATI Graphics, Atheros wireless, 3GB RAM
gordon.cooke
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot