Grub not detecting Vista Partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Grub not detecting Vista Partition

Postby 361degrees on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:08 pm

I have two hard drives, the first with a single partition running Vista. I installed Mint 8 onto a second hard drive, and it works fine, but it did not automatically add Vista to the Grub menu, and at present my PC always boots straight to Mint, when I would rather have a choice. I've tried the solution from the Mint wiki, but all that happens now is that grub displays an error message... then boots to Mint still.

When trying the example from the wiki I made sure it pointed to the right drive/partition combination.
I don't have access to my Vista CD, but is there any other way to either get vista to boot and reset the MBR or get Grub to recognize Vista?

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me, I've spent several hours pulling my hair out over this.

Edit: I've double checked, my vista partition is intact and bootable. I'm using Grub 2
361degrees
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Grub not detecting Vista Partition

Postby MaddogF16 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Was your entry in Grub hd0,1? Try hd0,0 instead. Also while in Mint open a terminal and type "sudo update-grub" and see if it picks up Vista. Do you have a recovery partition for the Vista install? If so maybe hd0,2?
MaddogF16
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot