Have 2 mints, want to remove one

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EAM

Have 2 mints, want to remove one

Post by EAM »

Hi,

I have Windows XP, and two Linux Mint 7 OS. I want to remove the first install of Linux Mint 7 and just keep Windows XP and the second Linux Mint. How would I go about that? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rtk-

Re: Have 2 mints, want to remove one

Post by Rtk- »

One of them is not Mint recovery, no?
Otherwise, erase the partition it is installed on.
I find this easier on Windows with Easeus Partition Manager. Hopefully you know the partition label.
Alternatively, you can use Gparted.
EAM

Post by EAM »

I was going to delete the partition but it said I had to unmount any partitions with a larger (not sure exactly) name?? Unfortunately I don't have the computer here to look at. I was trying to first delete the swap partition so could it have been referring to the main partition?
Rtk-

Post by Rtk- »

This is why I use Windows for this. Linux makes it more complicated than it can be.
Erm, well you can't unmount a partition in use, so it wouldn't of been the Mint installation you were using at the time.
The swap partition is to Linux what the pagefile is to Windows. I don't think deleting that will help.
EAM

Post by EAM »

Maybe if I just unmounted the partition where the one I want to delete was, it would have worked? I'll have to try that. Say I do manage to delete the partition, how do I recapture that space in either windows or linux? Also, I thought I read that windows couldn't see linux partitions?
Rtk-

Post by Rtk- »

That might work.
To recapture the space, use Easeus Partition Manager on Windows. You can right click a partition and extend it, it's very easy.
Windows can see Linux partitions, it just can't browse the files inside them.

Return to “Installation & Boot”