Install cannot see hard disk!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lanternflower

Install cannot see hard disk!

Post by lanternflower »

I'm trying to install Mint version 8. However the install program cannot see the hard disk.
Whats really frustrating is the live cd can and I have been able to partition and format the drive with gparted but the install screen is just blank when it comes to the hard disk bit. Really, really crazy.

The only thing I can think is that maybe it is because it is a SATA drive?

Is there a known way around this?

Can I install the system a different way?

Hope someone can help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Install cannot see hard disk!

Post by Fred »

lanternflower,

You say that you can't see the drive in the installer. I am assuming this is a single internal drive. Since you have already made and formatted partitions in Gparted, did you use the manual partitioning mode in the installer? If so you should have seen your pre-made partitions. If not, I would first expect a bad burn of the install CD. If gparted could see and make partitions for you then so should the installer.

Fred
lanternflower

Post by lanternflower »

Fred wrote:lanternflower,

You say that you can't see the drive in the installer. I am assuming this is a single internal drive. Since you have already made and formatted partitions in Gparted, did you use the manual partitioning mode in the installer? If so you should have seen your pre-made partitions. If not, I would first expect a bad burn of the install CD. If gparted could see and make partitions for you then so should the installer.

Fred
Fred! That is exactly what I expected too! When I noticed that gparted and the disk tool could both see the drive I expected that maybe once I created the partitions and formatted them, that the installer would see the drive but it doesn't.

Sadly I know it's not just a bad burn because I downloaded using bit torrent and I also downloaded the latest ubuntu which is doing exactly the same thing. :(

Is there a way I can install without using the installer program or a way to make the installer see the drive even?

Thanks for the help so far Fred!
lanternflower

Post by lanternflower »

Found the answer on the ubuntu forums!
Originally Posted by darkod:
If the drive has been used in raid, some settings remain and this happens. Even if it wasn't, sometimes settings remains are there.
Boot the live desktop, and if this is your only hdd it would be called /dev/sda, in terminal execute:

sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda
sudo apt-get remove dmraid
Thanks for your help anyway Fred!
So happy this works now! :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”