Mint 8 kernel 2.6.32

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Baerius

Mint 8 kernel 2.6.32

Post by Baerius »

Hello!
I have a Compaq mini 311_1000..
This computer does not boot with kernel 2.6.31, so i can't install linux mint 8 or ubuntu 9.10..(it's a confirmed bug on launchpad..)
I can't wait 3 months for 10.04, so can i create on an other pc a live cd of mint 8 with '32 kernel?
(Or can anyone create one for me? :) )
i'm new to linux's world, so I don't understand complicate commands..please help me! seven is a good OS(i found it preinstalled) but it's too slow on my mini!
oh yes, sorry for my bad english, but i am italian,our english is a..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Mint 8 kernel 2.6.32

Post by viking777 »

The .31 kernel is about the worst I have ever seen - it is doing nothing for the reputation of Linux.
You have two choices - Install Mint 7 instead, which because of the kernel problems is superior to Mint 8 anyway, or if you must have the latest kernels then install Sidux which has 2.6.32.7 and it works extremely well but it is based on Debian Unstable so has a lot of updates every day and works slightly differently to Mint particularly since it doesn't include the option to use Gnome (I would recommend Xfce but then that is because I hate KDE 4 - you might be OK with it).

My advice would be to install both (and if either of them give you the option to install grub 2 then decline it and install grub legacy instead!).

Shoehorning new kernels into old distros is really a job for professionals not for users, I wouldn't even attempt it, you will be wasting your time.
Baerius

Post by Baerius »

thanks! I'll try Sidux with xfce(it's better for a netbook, kde it's too heavy ), waiting linux mint 9!( ubuntu lucid alpha 2 works)
Baerius

Post by Baerius »

Nothing works.
I've tried to start Live CD mode,using ( as written on sidux's manuals) fromhd mode on my desktop pc it works, but on the compaq it crash on "b43-pci-bridge .."
i've tried to blacklist that module (blacklist=b43-pci-bridge) but it doesn't change anything. i've tried also to use commands of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/479597 (reply #13) but it crash at the same line.
i've bought an anti-linux pc!
(now i'm trying to use a different live cd, kde lite, but it's an insane conclusion)
what can i do?
linux mint 7 does not recognise broadcom's driver..
gn2

Post by gn2 »

Have you tried antiX on it yet ?

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Is this an old machine? I don't know much about Compaq's.

Reason I ask is that I too own what you call an anti-linux pc (an old sony vaio) and I could only ever install 2 linux distros on it. Slax (which I seriously don't recommend because it only ever runs as root - all the time) and Crunchbang Lite (which is what it is now running). I spent years trying things on this machine (including Antix btw) and these were the only things it would ever run.

Now my machine is old, with very little memory by modern standards, and I don't know if your machine fits into that same category, but if it is you might like to have a look at Crunchbang. It is a stupid name, but not a bad distro for old machines (ubuntu based but with a very lightweight desktop).
Baerius

Post by Baerius »

no, i bought this laptop two months ago, and the problem(as i understand) is that broadcom (wireless card's producer) does not support some linux's kernels..
I can't explain why ubuntu lucid linx has no problems booting on my pc, and sidux that has the same kernel (ubuntu's one is little modified) kernel crashes..
thank for your support, I'll wait for lucid linx..

Return to “Installation & Boot”