Trying to install OOo_3.2.0

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Trying to install OOo_3.2.0

Post by T J Tulley »

I entered the command $ sudo apt-get install for the new downloaded package from Open Office sitting in my Desktop - with the response:
theo@TJTLAP3Helena ~ $ sudo apt-get install /home/theo/Desktop/OOo320_m12_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

The Open-Office Readme had already said close all other programs, so I did that for all my Compiz workplaces, then still got the same response as above. The new version is not yet in the Mint repository.

How do I install it, please?

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

[Using Helena with Windows-7 on a laptop with Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz cpu, 4 GB RAM, 500GB hdd]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Leppie

Re: Trying to install OOo_3.2.0

Post by Leppie »

is update manager running in the background? this usually happens when 2 applications (or 2 different instances of the same application) try to open and lock the folder.

furthermore, the package you downloaded seems to be either a tarball or a rpm.
you can download the .deb package for 32 bit systems (with British English) here: http://download.services.openoffice.org ... deb.tar.gz
for x64 (with British English), the package is here: http://download.services.openoffice.org ... deb.tar.gz

to unpack, navigate to the download folder in your file manager and double click the archive. click the unpack button (a box with a green arrow pointing outwards).
you can then double click the .deb package to have gdebi install it.
if you would like to use the cli, it's something like this:

Code: Select all

tar -xvf OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-GB_deb.tar.gz
sudo dpkg -i OOo_3.2.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-GB.deb
hope this helps ;)

PS: are you running the x64 version of Helena? if not, have you installed the pae (Physical Address Extension) kernel to support all the ram+video mem?
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks a lot, Leppie. I think I shall manage that. I have as usual saved the package to my general Download store, and copied it to Desktop for installation. First I shall need to backup and close my working programs.

I doubt if my Helena is 64-bit - I downloaded the .iso file very soon after it was released and it is Standard Edition.

pae is not listed in Package Manager, so I entered $ sudo apt-get install pae - it couldn't find package pae, so I shall be grateful for advice.

I have posted several questions about getting Windows-7 64-bit to show ext2 and ext3 partitions - it is so new that the earlier software to do that is non-compliant. Any ideas?

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

[Using Helena with Windows-7 on a laptop with Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz cpu, 4 GB RAM, 500GB hdd]
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

T J Tulley wrote:Thanks a lot, Leppie.
You are welcome Mr. Tulley, we're here to help each other ;)
T J Tulley wrote:I have as usual saved the package to my general Download store, and copied it to Desktop for installation. First I shall need to backup and close my working programs.
Backing up is a good habit and it's nice to see someone doing it without having to suggest it first :)
T J Tulley wrote:I doubt if my Helena is 64-bit - I downloaded the .iso file very soon after it was released and it is Standard Edition.

pae is not listed in Package Manager, so I entered $ sudo apt-get install pae - it couldn't find package pae, so I shall be grateful for advice.
You should be able to install the pae enabled kernel using the server packages (they were first designed for server use as servers usually support more ram than desktops):

sudo apt-get install linux-server linux-headers-server linux-restricted-modules-server
NOTE: server kernels are not optimised for dekstop use and may not work nicely with certain proprietary video card drivers, so depending on what you actually use your machine for, the decision to install the pae kernel or not should be made. The alternative would be installing the x64 version of Helena. However, not all applications will be available for the x64 architecture and a lot of software is written for 32bits systems and only compiled on a x64 machine.
T J Tulley wrote:I have posted several questions about getting Windows-7 64-bit to show ext2 and ext3 partitions - it is so new that the earlier software to do that is non-compliant. Any ideas?
I'm afraid that Windows systems are very egocentric, e.g. the system is not flexible enough to recognise "alien" file systems. Windows 7 is in many ways incompatible with previous releases (even though a lot of people claim it to be Windows Vista with SP2). It might actually be easier to use a ntfs partition or an external hard drive formatted as ntfs (just to give some journaling functionality) and access that drive between the 2 systems.

Hope this helps
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks again Leppie - I've just copied and pasted your command into a terminal, which reports:
E: Couldn't find package linux-restricted-modules-server
[Edited 7:33 P.M. this forum's clock is an hour ahead!]

My data files are installed (under Linux-8) in the Windows NTFS partition of the internal drive, but Windows-7 doesn't show them there. If I add an external drive (with partitions in both NTFS and ext*, Windows shows only the NTFS partition. This includes backup copies of my data files, and strangely, Windows shows these. They were mostly created in a 32-bit system but have been edited since moving into this environment.

I shall need to spend time creating data in /users/theo/My Documents under Windows 64-bit and then investigate whether what I've introduced there shows under Linux 32-bit (but installed under a 64-bit cpu). I have OpenOffice 3.1.1 in both.

With many thanks,

Yours sincerely, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org

richyrich

Post by richyrich »

lantesh has recently posted a successful install of 3.2 . . this may help . . :)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 07&start=0
Leppie

Post by Leppie »

T J Tulley wrote:I've just copied and pasted your command into a terminal, which reports:
E: Couldn't find package linux-restricted-modules-server
[Edited 7:33 P.M. this forum's clock is an hour ahead!]
i'm not very familiar with the mint repositories yet, i will check this and get back later.
T J Tulley wrote:My data files are installed (under Linux-8) in the Windows NTFS partition of the internal drive, but Windows-7 doesn't show them there.
did you do a side by side install or was it a mint4win install?
T J Tulley wrote:If I add an external drive (with partitions in both NTFS and ext*, Windows shows only the NTFS partition. This includes backup copies of my data files, and strangely, Windows shows these. They were mostly created in a 32-bit system but have been edited since moving into this environment.
as far a I know there is not "64bit ntfs" filesystem. so even though your mint install is 32bit, from Windows you should still be able to see the files you put onto the ntfs partition using Mint.
T J Tulley wrote:I shall need to spend time creating data in /users/theo/My Documents under Windows 64-bit and then investigate whether what I've introduced there shows under Linux 32-bit (but installed under a 64-bit cpu). I have OpenOffice 3.1.1 in both.
I usually create a symbolic link in the user's home folder in linux. this can easily be done with something like this (with the mount point for the Windows 7 partition in /media/Windows 7):

ln -s "/media/Windows 7/Users/theo/My Documents"
remember that even though Windows is a case insensitive system, the cases of the Windows part of the path are case sensitive in linux.

Return to “Installation & Boot”