Installing Linux Mint Fluxbox/KDE on top of standard?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing Linux Mint Fluxbox/KDE on top of standard?

Postby phibxr on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:11 pm

Is it possible to install Linux Mint Fluxbox/KDE on top of the standard installation?

And by that, I'm not just talking about installing the individual Fluxbox/KDE-packages, but the entire customized environment.

In the Ubuntu-world, I would as an example do the following:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Is there any similar way of achieving the same results under Mint?
phibxr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing Linux Mint Fluxbox/KDE on top of standard?

Postby Kendall on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:24 pm

For Fluxbox, open a terminal and type "apt sources", then add the following line:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ helena-fluxbox main upstream

Save, then exit, then from the terminal do the following:

apt update

apt install mint-fluxbox-default-settings mint-fm2 mint-artwork-fluxbox mint-fluxbox-tools
apt install mintconfig-fluxbox lxrandr thunar-shares-plugin vino-xfce

This should cover everything you need. The dependency chain should pull in everything else you need. Naturally you won't want to install SLiM as you already have GDM installed, you probably won't need decibel-audio-player or chestnut-dialer either.

I didn't build a proper metapackage for the Mint Fluxbox desktop. Maybe I'll get on that later.
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7

Postby phibxr on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:37 pm

Kendall wrote:For Fluxbox, open a terminal and type "apt sources", then add the following line:

Thanks a lot for the quick answer! I'll try that right away. :)

Update: Right, I just tried this from a pretty clean standard installation of Linux Mint 8.

The Artwork package from Linux Mint Fluxbox seemed to clash with the Artwork package that was already present due to it trying to overwrite a theme.

This resulted in Fluxbox starting with a stock Debian background and a full width blue/gray taskbar. Also, there wouldn't seem to be any sound server running.

For now, I will just download and install the Linux Mint Fluxbox-iso instead, but I hope there will be a clear-cut meta package available in case people like me want to try the Fluxbox edition out without doing a reinstall. :)
phibxr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kendall on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:14 pm

phibxr wrote:The Artwork package from Linux Mint Fluxbox seemed to clash with the Artwork package that was already present due to it trying to overwrite a theme.

The solution here would be to download and unzip the source package from the repo, and manually add the icon theme and wallpapers.

phibxr wrote:Also, there wouldn't seem to be any sound server running.

The default audio server in Main edition is Pulse Audio, which when paired with Fluxbox doesn't make a particularly good combination.

Getting everything working together just right takes a bit of effort. Good luck.
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Installation & Boot