password fails

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Circulus_Equatorus

password fails

Post by Circulus_Equatorus »

I got Linux MINT 8 installed and set up completely. It's on a USB thumb drive. At some point I made a password for root but now when I try to login it says "authentication failure"
Do I have to re-install everything all over again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Leppie

Re: password fails

Post by Leppie »

to make a usb thumb drive install persistent (modifications will stick), you need to create an ext2 or ext3 partition and label it "casper-rw".

hope this helps.
Circulus_Equatorus

Re: password fails

Well I realize security being the way it has to be I re-installed MINT 8 on my Thumb
~ a Green Thumb?
~ Mint on-a-stick?
and yes I used PenDriveLinux.com's method/program to intall it with 4GB of Persistence, again.
I got the Keyboard Layout to stay USA by finding and selecting the make and model (almost exactly matches) of my keyboard.
I also found the Make and Model of my Printer (almost an exact match again, but they work!)
The point I'm having trouble with is I can't get it to ask me for a password even though I use the "add a user/member" and "apply a password manually". It doesn't stick and I'm loathe to change the 'root' user password. What should I do?
Dav*eau
Circulus_Equatorus

Re: password fails: Ilovethisthing...

Green Thumb on my other desktop that already has 4 OPSys,
this is a dualcore ATOM~ION N330-1.6Gz using MINT Helena-main @ 4GB RAM
:arrow: :|
Win 7 OS boot is also installed on this mini-itx
This MINT installation has the appropriate login screen requiring my signature. & this one's not stuck "on-a-thumb-drv"
I need to know how to make the other installation of MINT take a "login required" password on booting up.
It won't keep my password setup.^
Thumb has 4GB of persistence casper.
Daveeau
^fix?

Return to “Installation & Boot”