screen goes blank after GRUB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
avinashm_2000

screen goes blank after GRUB

Post by avinashm_2000 »

Hi,
I run LM8 on a Celeron 2.4Ghz, 512 MB RAM machine. Sometimes, the screen goes blank after the Grub, though a few seconds later I can hear the sound that accompanies the usual startup. I have to shut down the laptop and restart it again, but it can sometimes get repeated. the output from 'lspci' is given below. How do I make it start consistently in the correct manner?
Avinash.
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 82)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 02)
01:0c.0 Ethernet controller: National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: screen goes blank after GRUB

Post by Husse »

Brookdale has been a bit of a problem unfortunately
Although you provide information it is not enough to help you
After a failed boot when you succeed again please look in the log file viewer (found in the menu) for any errors
You can post the one(s) you find for assessment
avinashm_2000

Post by avinashm_2000 »

Hi Husse,
sorry for the delay in replying. I am posting the messages I recovered from log file viewer. The sequence of events was like this - Firstly, the system froze after I tried to open Rhythmbox on the first boot. I had to power down the laptop. When I booted it again, the screen went blank (The main problem). I powered it down again. the next boot was perfect. The entire log for this session is appended as an attachment. ( I apologize for the length of the post - I could not sort out the important from the unimportant).

Regards,
Avinash.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

The minimum required ram for Mint main is 512Mb. Since that is all you have, I think you can expect trouble because the stated minimum requirement is always less than is actually needed (just like your isp tells you that your line is 'up to' 8Mb/sec, but in fact you are lucky if you get half of that)

Why don't you try something like the fluxbox CE. The stated minimum requirement for this is 256Mb which probably means it will run OK on 512Mb.

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1271
avinashm_2000

Post by avinashm_2000 »

Thank you for the suggestion. I will surely give it a try. Having said that, whenever I have a look at the system monitor on LM Main, the memory usage hardly ever crosses 40% for my routine needs and the swap (972MB) usage is always below 3%. The system freezes occassionally, but it is not bothering me. But will the problem of the blank screen after GRUB be solved with fluxbox?
Avinash.

Return to “Installation & Boot”